C H A P T E R | 6

Start from the beginning

"Hey! Can anyone hear me?!" His face turning desperately before another coughing fit racked his body violently from the burning smoke consuming his room. Leaving all corners to be penetrated by the thick fog and the burning sting of unfiltered air to begin working its way into his body.

Peter knew he had to calm down. Unnecessary excessive breathing would only cause bis chest to hurt worse than what it was due to the smoke and rising panic he could feel himself begin to take hold on. His eyes burned and watered from the heavy smoke constantly finding its way into the room regardless of the closed door.

He knew that if he didn't act now, whatever he did later would put himself more at risk. The flames were clearly growing in size with the rising quantity of smoke making its way to the second level. But at the same time Petter was unsure if the fire started out on the second or first level. Logically he wanted to believe it started out on the first level. More variables to be the cause for this situation, but he couldn't rule out the second level.

With those thoughts shoved to the side, he quickly rushed over to his backpack and brought it to the bed. Anything important he own was stashed in this bag. Pictures of his family and small trinkets, because his trust of this place was slim and held at arms length. And out of all the items they could have stolen, these would be the ones he wouldn't want to go missing. He didn't worry about the kids at school, because while flash was a dick, he didn't touch anything Peter would proclaim as his family possessions. The few and rare in between.

Double checking his bag, he quickly secured it to his back before ripping the thin sheet from the bed and rushing into the bathroom and soaking it with water.

He could practically hear his own heart hammering in his chest. His ears ringing and focused completely on the ragged crinkles of the flames eating away at the house bit by bit. While his body worked quickly to soak the blanket fully to help prevent some of the burns he was sure he'd get. Using the excessively wet fabric, he began to pat himself down to wet his own clothes in attempt to make them less flammable before running it under the sink one more time for good measure. He carefully wrapped it around himself like a hooded cape before walking back to the door.

The door wouldn't be hard to break open with his enhanced strength, he couldn't pick the lock because the lack of access to his side of the door. He knows. He tried before. He assessed the door, from how it can only open inwards towards the room and not outward, and how the door handle, while old was sturdy and heavy duty. The hinges looked weak from years of use and no maintenance performed on the door, because if it's not broken why would anyone bother. His eyes focused back on the spot he planned to aim for and stared it on.

He braced himself before rushing the door and using his shoulder to break in the lock.

"Motherfucker—" he cursed under his breath hearing the frame crack under pressure and the hinges creak with unsatisfactory to his current predicament. His shoulder twinged from the impact. He looked at the handle thinking about the possibilities of just breaking it big remember that one time he'd be locked in a room by accident and how well that went.

He rammed the door again with his whole body weight into it and smile in satisfaction when the top hing broke free from its confinement's, but his face grimace when the sight of the raging inferno on the other side caught his eyes. Stealing his breathing under the coughing fits he rounded his leg up to kick the door with excessive strength before watching the door finally give way to his efforts. The smoke wafting him like whiplash to his senses and the light changing the entire room from dark to illuminated in one swift moment. The heat hit him like a train and it instantly felt like he was being cooked alive.

He hesitatingly took a step out into sea of fire before evaluating his next course of action. He needed to find the safest place to exit the building and for him that would be finding the nearest window that was not barred like the one in his room and away from prying eyes. Pretty simple so long as he could get there.