C H A P T E R | 6

C H A P T E R | 6

Try to do one good deed and it only ends up in disaster

Peter thought and sighed heavily in exasperation, while laying on his bed with no particular goal in mind. He couldn't even bring himself to care that he never removed his shoes before crawling into the bed.

He had simply attempted to keep the children preoccupied considering how on edge the adults seemed to be that day. One minute he is playing with them and helping with homework and the next he is locked in his room as punishment for being destructive.

Honest bullshit in his opinion, but Peter simply couldn't bring himself to care at the moment. If they wanted to handle 15 hyper children on their own and make sure their needs were met, than they could. It was not his problem anymore, not that it should have been in the first place.

He knew at this point going out as Spider-Man would not be a possibility tonight. The door was locked from the outside and the windows were barred based on protection in the big bad city. Due to the first escape leading down the side of the home. Real convenient if Peter ever thought about it. Blocking a fire exit meant for escaping a building. An entire floor now subjected to one less easily accessible exit, all for the 'children's protection,' and no longer an exit in case of emergencies. Not that Peter knew if the bars had been there prior to Greene Cove coming into ownership of the building. For all he knew, the window could be like that due to past ownership of the building. So he couldn't really blame the children's home for negligence, other than removing them and changing the windows and locks to ensure the safety these bars were meant to serve.

The particular room he was in was not his own. But the one given to the specific child in question as time to reflect and question their wrong doing. A from of isolation from peers and staff in a bare necessity room that only had the essentials. A bed with blankets and pillow, and a half bath with only a sink and toilet. Peter found that what they deemed a punishment, he deemed a decent nights sleep so long as he could stay asleep. He didn't have to share a room, nor worry about waking up to ensure the other were getting ready (not that he had to worry about that tomorrow since it was a Saturday). This was their favorite form of punishment for the older children, because it just meant they had one less individual child to look after.

It was not his fault that they couldn't control the feral gremlins. It was pretty simple, a simple solution so easy anyone can do. Show respect, manners still exist and listen to them, even when they are acting out. Because sometimes emotions run high and unnecessary conflict can't solve a problem. Not that they'd listen to Peter. No because the 'problem' child of their home couldn't know anything that wouldn't result in an issue.

Peter couldn't help but roll his eyes at that thought before taking one glance at the window to determine how late into the afternoon it was approaching. The sun was on the verge of beginning to set but held strong in the evening sky to produce rays of light. While his school bag sat idly by under the window and his skateboard attached firmly to the back of the bag. His Spider-Man suit safety tucked away in the hidden department he'd had sown into the bottom of the bag some time back. All simple measures of precaution incase anyone had nabbed his bag at school, occasional bag checks and even incase one of the adults here at Greene Cove decided to snoop.

Wearing the suit all the time was not a plausible solution either. He'd prefer not to smell like a dirty sock after wearing it for to long without a wash, and he tried to frequently wash his suit. Smelly teenagers don't make for an intimidating factor. More often than not, the smell will scare them off first. Besides that factor, there was also the issue that what if his shirt got ruined and it affected the suit, or if his shirt didn't hide his suit. Maybe it gets ripped or torn in his interactions with Flash. The possibilities were quite literally infinity because anything could happen. He didn't want to risk it, even if in some situations he could play it off as cosplay. He was considered weird enough among his peers for it to make sense.