C H A P T E R | 6

Start from the beginning

He closed his eyes and fixated his hearing on the sounds around him. He could hear some of the children moving around down stairs and the frustrated voices of some of the adults. Causing a small smirk to find it's way to his lips at the notion before directing his hearings to the things outside. The sound of a passing train caught his attention and his body relaxed further into the bed as he allowed the sound to take him.

At some point he had fallen asleep to the sound of the passing train and fading light. By the time he'd woken up from his premature bedtime snooze, the sun had finally set and the train had passed. He rubbed his eyes slowly to adjust to being awake briefly, before turning over to find a more comfortable spot with the intention of slipping back into sleep. His joints and back cracking and popping from laying in the one spot for to long, eliciting a small groan of satisfaction to leave his lips from the feeling.

However, he only got as far as rolling over before he felt the familiar pressure of his Spidy senses going off. He scrunched his nose as he attempted to will the headache too go away. What could it be going off for? He was literally alone in the room.

He sat up tentatively, noticing for the first time the blaring lights of what looked like emergency responders outside his window. Without a second thought he stood from his bed to hastily work his way to the window and stare out to the street below. Where he watched the tentative work of firefighters rush around their vehicles, while police set up barricades. His heart races harshly within his rib cage as he pressed his face up to the glass to figure out what was happened. His hearing over stimulated by chaotic yelling and sharp screech of sirens creating an unnecessary headache.

"Where is the emergency..." he looked with the best of his ability, before turning to walk further into his room. He reached for his door handle and juggled it lightly in a form of testing to see if it was still locked before turning back on his heels to stare out the window. His feet carried him to the same position he had been standing before to look out over the street. His view obstructed by the bars covering the window and the inability to move his head further than what the window allows him.

The longer he stared out at the people below the more he began to recognize the individual's congregating. Children from the home and adults meant to take charge of them. One by one began to file around an ambulance the longer he stared. While his heart hammered inconsistently with erratic rhythm, but on point to how he began to feel. The dread setting in with each moment that passes and allows the situation to make itself known.

The emergency responders were here for Greene Cove, but why? And why hadn't his door been unlocked if they were evacuating?

He rushed to the door and began to bang on the harden door to try and gather anyone's attention. Panic not yet setting in to his voice as he called out for anyone.

"Hello?? Is anyone there?" He paused fo wait for any response before trying again. After three attempted fails, he takes a deep breath before placing his ear to the door. Filtering out sounds until he heard the familiar crackling popping sound of fire on wood and sounds of what he could only describe as falling debris. And soon he could smell the scent of burning smoke filter this room underneath the door. Smoke began to crawl its way through the cracks until he could see it forming puffs in the air over the only light coming into the room from the window. The panic now taking its hold of his thoughts, while his body began to shake.

He was used to be being the one to rescue those in need. Not the one in need for rescuing. This was unfamiliar territory he rather never experience. The feeling completely overwhelming and hard to ignore no matter how much time he's spent honing his skills as a vigilante.

He backed away from the door in an attempt to calm his heart that felt like it would explode out of his chest at any moment. After giving himself a minute to compose himself much more solid to the situation, he quickly made his way to the window. Small coughs beginning to build up in his throat as the room began to fill to the brim with smoke. He hit the window hard enough to create much needed creaking and harsh noise, while he shouted at the people below in hopes of gaining their attention.