No More Ghosts: Chapter 11

Chapter 11

That long way turned out to be a little under two-hundred miles. A small insurance policy that John's grandfather had taken out and John had long since forgotten existed had matured, and letter had arrived bearing the good news a few days later.

Using his newfound computer skills, John stayed up late one night, browsing the internet until he found the perfect location in the Lake District for a romantic weekend break. Lisa would be staying at Daisy's for two nights and he'd found a farmhand he'd been working with just before Carol's return who was willing to stay at Sparkhouse and keep it ticking over.

"Belated honeymoon is it, John?" he'd smirked, raising his eyebrows as John had explained why he needed the help.

"Something like that," John grinned back, unable to hide his excitement.

Much to Carol's annoyance he refused to tell her where they were going, which made for a long and cantankerous journey.

Her prickly mood soon evaporated however, when they arrived at Cartmel and John pulled up in front of Maggie Puddle Cottage. Planters bursting with flowers surrounded the little grey building, and the views were magnificent. Inside the cottage was modern but cosy with an open plan living area and wood burning stove, and open wooden stairs to a mezzanine bedroom and en-suite bathroom. Small but perfectly formed was the description that came to mind.

"It's lovely," beamed Carol, turning to John and giving him a hug.

They unpacked and headed into the village for a pub lunch, then spent the rest of the afternoon milling around the little shops. John took Carol's hand as they made their way back up the steep hill to the cottage, and a look passed briefly between them. No one watching them would have even registered it, but for them it spoke more than any words could ever have done.

They entered the cottage and as he turned from pushing the door closed, John realised that Carol was standing behind him. She took his hand in hers and pulled him towards the stairs, "C'mon, I don't want to wait anymore."

He allowed her to lead him to the bedroom before pulling her towards him for a long, slow kiss. "This is like dream Carol. There were times when I though we'd never..."

"Shhhh." She silenced him with a kiss. They undressed one another slowly, both of them delayed by shaking fingers that fumbled with buttons and zips. John found himself breathless at the sight of Carol standing, naked before him. She'd finally begun to put on the weight that she'd lost after Andrew's death, and without the layers of clothes necessary for a Yorkshire winter, her figure was surprisingly womanly. After just a moment's hesitation, he scooped her into his arms and placed her gently on the bed, his mouth meeting hers again as he delighted in the sensation of her soft, warm skin against his own.

Many people subscribe to the belief that experience is what makes a good lover. If that was the case then John Standring was the exception to the rule. His shyness made his touch gentle and his desire to please Carol made him exceptionally aware of her responses - a shudder as his fingertips grazed the length of her spine, the arch of her back as he scattered kisses down her long white throat. He learnt every curve of her small frame with his hands first, then retraced his route with his soft lips and warm tongue, taking his time over the spots where her reactions had been strongest and revelling in the sounds of her breath coming faster and shorter, and her soft moans when he finally dared to touch her more intimately.

When at last he covered her body with his, instinct took over as he lost himself entirely in the woman he had loved for so long and her passionate response, which for so long he had thought he might never know.