CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN | AUXILIARY

AUXILIARY

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVENAUXILIARY

✧✧✧

The scintillating moon sent a soft beacon of light to the bedroom through the barely parted windows. The intricate, golden curtains billowed with the pleasant wind seeping in the room, accompanied with a howl of the wind, thus indicating that autumn was soon upon them. The strong scent of petrichor lingered in the chilly air, the trees gently moving along with it.

She stood before the wide vanity's mirror, watching how the Gentle Queen's delicate fingers deftly styled her hair into twists, with thin, sparkly ribbons curled in between them; her hair nearly reaching the small of her back. The girl's hands flew to her neck when Susan finished clipping the back of her necklace closely around her neck. It matched the scarlet of her modest gown, golden warped into the long sleeves of her dress. It had been a gown gifted to her by the queen on her birthday, and one she desperately wished to premiere at the ball.

Yet, Rose had not been able to calm herself down right before the grand event. She balled the silks of her dress and fiddled with her fingers when realization dawned upon her: there would be many guests from all over the nation attending the ball. Although she did wish for the idea to not bother her, she could not help but wish not to attend overall; only for the mere reason that he might be within the many guests that night. He, who had been the cause for the sudden surge of battle between the harmonious kingdom and the corrupt witch's hidden followers. It made her gulp at the thought.

But regardless of that feeling plummeting in her stomach, Rose decided to attend. It was not like she could refuse now, anyway. She was already in her scarlet gown, balling the silks of her skirts in her hands. Still, her heart violently beat against her chest as she turned to face Susan. Unsure, nervous, of what might happen during the night; the night meant only for elation, worry-free.

With a warm smile, Susan took Rose's hands tightly into hers, comfortingly squeezing them. "Oh, do stop fretting. You look rather wonderful," she soothed, her voice maternal.

Rose lazily nodded and released a shaky breath, her thoughts lurking elsewhere. "Thank you," reassured she, strolling toward the vanity, "but it is not that what's troubling me so. It's best not to worry about it, though. We have got a whole night ahead of us!" At this, she forced a barely-there smile. Perhaps it would help ease the troubles of her restless thoughts.

Before Susan could even respond, though, Rose turned to her, proudly grinning. Changing topics nearly always proved successful to her. "Is there anything I could help you with now?"

The queen did not have any of it. Her smile had fallen quicker than lighting striking the sky. "Please. You are dodging the question. Your words say one thing, but your actions speak otherwise," Susan pauses, leading her unusually quiet lady-in-waiting to sit on her bed. "Tell me, what is troubling you so, then? I will not bear to have guest pouting at my own party!"