gift 🍃

(fyi, this is a slight flashback/recap chapter at the beginning!)

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

you gazed up at the starry night skies,

with nothing lingering on your mind at the moment. you had found every single one of these quick quiet moments brought you peace...although you felt there was a part missing.

"hey, y/n! wanna hang out with our group today?"

"o-oh, sure..."

you couldn't ever say no to a gathering with friends. you didn't want to be left out, didn't want to miss out on anything, didn't want to be left behind...

it was already middle school, and you had barely made any friends. if you did before, none of them would last for more than a week before they had found somebody new.

it was hard, but you so desperately wanted to find new friends...even if it meant leaving your comfort zone of quiet. you needed somebody by your side.

you'd learn later on though, that none of the friendships you had made in middle school would work out. they would all turn out the same in the end, despite your personal connections with them.

"god, she's so boring..."

sooner or later, the people you had once thought as allies soon turned into enemies. bullies, stalkers, creeps...they wouldn't stop picking on you.

...

high school wasn't much better.

sure, there were new people...new company. but your trust had been completely shattered that you weren't for a second willing to get to know anybody new.

however, your cheerful demeanor remained. it was the only thing keeping you sane. you treated everyone nicely, as respectfully as you could. you apologized when you made mistakes. when you were wrong, you admitted it.

but...you still felt you needed somebody by your side.

...

it was now college.

pathetic, wasn't it? you were 20, and still hadn't found a real friend. not even during your gap year. the closest people you could slightly consider friends were people like lisa, or just people your mom knew.

"i want...a friendship....that'll last."

the last words you had muttered before you fell back asleep.