"Why are you here?" the low, deep voice spoke and Anya stopped mid-step. The man slowly turned his head and his eyes fell on her figure. A few strands of hair partially hid his face.

"I-I.." she began uncertainly. The voice trembling from the suggestion that those eyes put on her when they scanned her.

"In your own words, doll." he said coldly.

"First of all, I wanted to apologize for befo-"

"You don't have to." he said bluntly. "I hate coming back to this hellhole too. But it's our duty. Our task." the Soldier closed the book he held in his hands with a thud, implying it was a large and heavy book.

"We are not free." he announced, turning fully towards her. And as much as he wanted to take her and run away, far, far away, during the mission.. They had to accept it. Perhaps he was also reminding it himself.

"I really don't know what got to me.." she sighed in frustration.

The Soldier shrugged. He moved the chair backwards, causing a high, annoying whistle. He stood up and with heavy, slow steps approached the girl. Both still wearing their combat suits.

The Soldier watched her. Always the same Anya. But this time it was different. He was different and looked at her with different eyes. The maturity she had shown in the field during the mission had pleasantly surprised him. He never thought she would get this far.

They soon found themselves toe to toe and his eyes were as piercing as steel blades, aimed at those two green ponds of hers. He tilted his head to the side observing her. Suddenly Anya noticed that her lips had parted slightly as she was distracted staring at him, lost in her thoughts. Her jaw clenched in fear of drooling in front of him and straightened her back.

"But I must say." he said, suddenly frustrated. Anya gave him a surprised look. "I'd like to apologize to you."

The girl teased him with a grin.
"You? With me? And why on earth?" she asked incredulously.

"I let my guard down, I was negligent. But you were perfect, for your first mission." he said looking down.
"My mistake could have killed you, or killed us."

"It's fine, really." she said, still confused by the situation.

"No, it's not." he was getting closer and closer. Anya swallowed loudly.
"You make me feel.. You make me feel." he said in a calm but stern tone. Without any emotion to emphasize the sentence, in that moment sounded almost like an insult.
"And I don't like it. I want it to stop. Now."

During the mission he realized that just as his feelings were starting to clear up, the danger of losing her was growing. And he couldn't afford it.

"I don't know what you're talking about." she said with a frown, frightened by his tone, so intense it was almost a threat.

His gaze met hers, trapping her, drawing her in even as he pushed her away.
"Oh, you know."

A second passed.
Another, and another.
Neither of them moved.
Or spoke.
They just stared at each other.

Her gaze, confused, widened. Guilty and innocent at the same time.
His gaze, cloudy and stern. Inquisitory, he glared at her with his jaw tight and his eyebrows furrowed.

If looks could kill.

The air surrounding them was electric.
The Soldier took another step, feeling more and more attracted. Anya had a strange feeling. She didn't like it, but deep down she wanted so much to let go.

"Why are you here, really?"

No.
You have to stop.
This isn't good.
This isn't right.
This isn't possible.