Chapter 7: Lego House

CHAPTER 7: LEGO HOUSE

“I’m gonna pick up the pieces and build a lego house…”

MARIAM POV

“I’m gonna pick up the pieces and build a lego house?”

I know exactly what this song is about. How? Because Ed sang these exact lines to me about two months ago.

*2 hours earlier. Stephen Editors*

“Thank God is Friday. I can’t stand being here any longer. Do you know how long that manuscript that came here last week was? I just finished with it, and guess what? Boss wants me to start already with the one that came yesterday.” Catherine said soft-spoken while handing me some papers.

I looked at her. She was right. These last few days had been hell in the office. Apparently the company was growing. More people wanted our services. Of course the fact that I and probably Catherine too, were distracted by the CD didn’t help. We were late with our work and our boss had already chastened us for our delaying more than the permitted time at lunch break.

“I am drowning here with work too. I have to hurry or I will have to stay extra hours at night. You should probably head back to your booth.” After seeing the papers she had handed me, I started to concentrate again on what I was doing. Not staying extra hours overnight was my number one priority today.

After Catherine headed back to whatever she was doing, I continued with my work. Determined to not stay overnight stuck here in the office, I stayed over the lunch break. When all my co-workers returned from lunch break, I was already ahead of them. Definitely, I am going home early tonight.

*2 months earlier. Orphanage Volunteer Center”

“Thank God you are here Mariam. We feared you would not come today. Bailey was getting restless, waiting for you.” Emilia said smiling while guiding me through the orphanage.

I smiled back at her and walked by her side. Coming here always made me happy. Each of these children deserved to be raised as any child should be; with a roof, food, education, and more importantly, love. I was happy spending time with them, and helping as much as I could here. Now, I had almost a month and a half visiting them. The orphanage was not that big. It had roughly fifteen or seventeen children. Teachers, psychologists, and volunteers were some of the adults that took care of the children. I was one of the volunteers.

As soon as Emilia opened the door were the children were, Bailey came running and tackled me in a huge hug.

“Mariam! You are here!” Bailey smiled still hugging me, and then stepped back. For a seven year old, she could hug tighter.

“Hello Bailey! Sorry that I am late. I slept in.” I said making a quick lie. Truth was that I was late because I stayed in Ed’s flat.

“Today some nice woman brought new toys. Come and see them.” Bailey screamed excitedly.

I watched Bailey run to her new toys and I couldn’t help but grin once again. Her black hair, now in braids, moved violently as she chased Austin who had taken one of the dolls she liked so much. After a few minutes of running, Bailey was back to her new toys only that a few drops of sweat trickled down her cinnamon skin, and she had her doll back.

Suddenly, Bailey raised her face, as she remembered something. She pointed her little finger to me and then to the new Lego castle she was playing with.  I laughed and sat down with her and two other kids that were playing with her. Definitely, I am going home late this evening.