"Ooh, look! Trader Johan is here," Tuff suddenly quipped. He and his sister getting uncharacteristically excited about the travelling merchant. Both of them were jumping out of the cart and dashing off towards the village square before Astrid could even think to stop them.

Muttering under her breath, she watched them go for a moment. So much for Tuffnut helping with the heavy lifting... Then she moved to wrestle the basket out of the cart and carry it into the tavern for Gobber. "Aye, let me. Ya shouldn' be carryin that lass," Gobber grumbled as he stumped after her.

"Don't be ridiculous," Astrid snapped back with a roll of her eyes. "I have two arms, two legs, and I'm stronger than I look."

"Lord knows you and your ma both are," Gobber supplied kindly. Smiling at Astrid now as she set the basket on a chair in the kitchen, and she smiled back. "How're you lot holding up out there," he asked in a much softer tone. "You have enough wood for the winter? I had a pretty good haul this summer, and I could probably afford to give you some if you need it."

Astrid despised feeling like a charity case, but she was grateful for his concern just the same. Gobber had been buying produce from her family's farm for years now, and he had become something of their guardian angel after her father had died. Paying more than market value for what little they could spare, and offering leftovers from his kitchen when times were especially lean. In a world where women on their own had few options, it was likely the only thing that had kept the little family afloat.

"Thanks, but I think we're good," Astrid replied with a sigh. "If we're going to be short, I should know well before the worst of the cold hits and I'll go get more myself." It was not proper for a lady to be out in the woods gathering firewood, but it would not be the first time Astrid had gone against societies silly rules. Her two young brothers were not yet old enough to be of much help with the chores, and someone needed to keep their family alive. Gobber scowled again, but said nothing as he simply handed over a small pouch of coins. He knew better than to press the issue.

Tucking the pouch into a pocket on her skirt, Astrid forced a bright smile onto her face. "Mom put the poultice for your leg into the bottom of the basket along with some treated linen for wrappings," she offered now as she tried to bring the subject away from her family's precarious situation. "She also made up a tea that should help ease some of the pain and inflammation, and let you sleep. One spoonful in hot water before bed each night. Steep for 5 minutes, or until the water turns a deep purple, and then drink it all at once."

"Aye," Gobber acknowledged with a nod. "Give your momma my thanks. You lot of lovely ladies are much too good to me," he teased.

"You know us. We Hofferson ladies aim to please," Astrid grinned back. Making Gobber laugh heartily as he shook his head at her. With a wave, she made her way back out to the street to track down the twins.

Venturing into the square, Astrid was greeted by the sight of a rather large crowd gathered around the centre. Trader Johann, in his bright garments of blue and red, was standing on the platform below the statue. Putting on a show as he relayed tales from his travels to the interested villagers. Peering around for a familiar face, Astrid spotted the local Deacon, Fishlegs Ingerman, and headed over to him. His white alb and green stole standing out starkly amidst the darker coloured clothing all around him - not that it needed to. Fishlegs was built tall and wide, like most of the people of the village. His sturdy frame a bit at odds with his monkish blonde hair, gentle green eyes, squeaky voice, and almost childlike innocence. Other than her family and Gobber, he was also probably one of the only people she really tolerated too.

When she started to ask him what was going on though, he shushed her and pointed to Johann. "Fine people of Berk, I come bearing dark tidings," Johann was saying. His voice cast dramatically low as he pressed a hand to his heart. "It seems that a scourge of evil has fallen upon this great Kingdom. East Anglia has become plagued with..." He drew out the moment as the people held their breath in anticipation. "...Witches," he finished with a flourish, and a chorus of gasps rang out.

"It is said that a dark shadow rides into town. Disguised as a man upon a steed as black as midnight, and bringing with it the temptation of the Devil himself," he proclaimed darkly. "Calling the witches out from whence they are hiding - to dance with him beneath the dark moon! Already more than 40 mistresses of Satan have been discovered between Manningtree, Norwich, and Great Yarmouth. The shadow is clearly making its way along the coast. How long before it comes here? To Berk?!"

Johann's shout carried across the square. Resulting in a flurry of muttering and whispers from the now panicked people. A few children beginning to cry while their mothers clutched them closer. Everyone looking to those around them with worried eyes. What were they to do?

Astrid felt a chill shiver down her own spine at Johann's words. Everyone knew that witches existed. If God had servants here on Earth, it only made sense that the Devil would want some too. The real question was, what could they do? Was there a way to prepare for the coming of this dark shadow? Or did they just have to hope that it decided to bypass Berk?

Then Astrid took a deep breath as she forced herself to calm down and think rationally. A true witch was supposed to be able to call up storms and summon demons. Surely someone that powerful would have made themselves known long before now? Coming from a long line of Cunningfolk, Astrid knew that most of what people thought was witchcraft, wasn't magic at all.

There was no special power in making use of the healing qualities of plants. All that took was practice, and a fair amount of knowledge passed down through the generations. Although, apparently her Great Aunt Elizabeth had been able to see coming storms in the patterns of chicken bones, but Astrid had doubts about how reliable a gift that even was. All she could see when she looked at chicken bones was a good ingredient for soup. No, there had never been any sign of a witch in Berk before, and what reason would one have to show up now.

Nudging Fishlegs with her elbow, she motioned for him to follow her out of the square. She hadn't seen the twins in that crowd, and she had a sneaking suspicion where they might be instead. When she glanced up at the large blonde man walking beside her though, it was easy to tell that Fishlegs looked visibly shaken. "You aren't seriously believing Trader Johann's crazy stories, are you," she asked him. "You know he's just trying to scare people so they'll buy some of his useless amulets."

"Maybe," Fishlegs allowed. "Or maybe he's telling the truth." When Astrid just arched a brow at him, Fishlegs held up his large hands defensively. "Or, at least partially. Look, I'm not asking you to go back there and buy one of his raw onion necklaces. I'm just saying that maybe we should be careful," he implored. "I'd already heard about the scourge of witch trials sweeping through East Anglia from Rev. Magmar. Apparently one of the condemned witches was masquerading as an ordained clergyman. You never know who it might be."

Astrid gave a bit of an involuntary shudder at that, but then she brushed it off. "Trust me Fish," she joked as she patted his arm reassuringly. "If anyone here had magical powers, we'd already know about it. Vikings aren't known for their subtlety, after all." He didn't look entirely convinced, but the worry lines around his eyes did fade somewhat, and Astrid offered him a half smile. "Now, enough crazy talk about witches. I need to find Ruff and Tuff so I can head home, and I'd bet my family's last turnip that those two are out tipping yaks at Mulch's farm."

"You're probably right, but what does that have to do with me," Fish moaned as he tried to plead her with his pale green eyes.

"Because if Sheriff Jorgenson is already there, you're going to talk to him for me while I get the twins and myself out of there," Astrid grinned back. "Hopefully without his son seeing me. Think of it as charitable mercy for the less fortunate."

As Fish groaned even louder, Astrid grabbed him by the sleeve and started tugging him towards the other end of town with a laugh. Pushing thoughts of sinister stories and dark shadows out of her mind. She meant what she had said to Fish, after all. It was doubtful that there was a witch already hiding in their midst, and what reason would one have to show up out of the blue? Berk was a quiet little village without much wealth to spare. Whatever evil was stirring outside of their little haven, it wasn't going to come here.

______

Well, that's an ominous ending....

And now we have most of our characters introduced. Thank goodness. That's one of the toughest parts for me, honestly. Hope you liked it.

Anybody pick up anymore breadcrumbs along the way yet? ;)