chapter 24

Matisse POV

"So you really brought me to go shopping?" Paris asked.

"Yup, now I figured you could get a nice dress to match my suit for the double date tonight," I explained. She smiled and hugged me in front of the mall doors.

"Come on, let's go," she said, sounding like a little kid.

"Look for a purple dress, my tie is purple and my suit is gray," I gave her directions, handing her my credit card. Obviously, I wasn't going to let her pay for the dress I wanted her to buy.

"Matisse, you know I can pay for it myself, right," Paris said, trying to give the card back.

"Nope, give it back when you have a dress for tonight. I'll be shopping around here and you call me if you need anything. This time is all for you, don't worry bout Jalen and Laylah. Jalen is planning on taking her out too," I told her so she would be a little more worry-free. Considering the way she grew up she always cared about her circumstances and Laylah more than anything else. I went into Nike to find some nice shorts and got a call from Jalen.

"Yo, what's up," I asked.

"So for tonight ima wear a navy suit with a light pink tie. So that won't bother your plans right," he asked, sounding a little nervous.

"Nah, it doesn't. I'm wearing gray with purple," I responded.

"Aight, lemme know when y'all heading back we bout to head out. Laylah just grabbing her purse." He told me.

"Aight, you good? You sound nervous," I finally asked. Even though he bugged me, he was now family. I had to make sure he was alright for Laylah's sake.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a bit worried about Devonta, he almost found out bout us," he explained.

"Oh, but everything is all good now right? I mean you should be more worried about Tobias and he has no idea about either of us, so just chill out."

"Aight thanks man. Never been more helpful, I'll see y'all later," Jalen said, sounding a lot more like himself now. This man was something else. He is literally perfect for Laylah.

Within another 10 minutes, Paris calls me telling me she is done shopping for her dress and wants to know where I was. I was sitting in the food court with a couple of H&M, Nike, and a pretzel bag. I had gotten it for Paris. She loves pretzels.

"Ooo pretzels, but you can see my dress when we get home let's go," she said as she grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the doors. Damn, she was strong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jalen POV

"Lay, go get ready," I told Laylah. It was now my turn to take her out to get a dress for tonight's dinner. It was more like a double date.

"Will sweatpants work," she asked, hugging me.

"Yes, just look nice."

"So nice as in my clothes or my face," she asked.

"You stupid, both," I responded.

"But you love my stupid self," she said, getting smart.

"Just go change," I laughed. She wasn't wrong though I did love her, even when she was stupid.

"I'm ready, let's go," Laylah told me while coming out of the bathroom. She was wearing a gray tie-dye sweatshirt with butterflies on it and some grey sweatpants. Her hair was up in a bun with cool braids in the front. No idea what they call it, but she looked beautiful.

"You look good," I complimented her.

"Thank you," she blushed.

"Aww someone's blushing, but let's go and leave ya purse at home. You won't need it." I told her as I opened her room door so we could head down.

"Hold on lemme put my shoes on," Laylah whined. Apparently, I move too fast for her. She put her all white air forces on with crease guards, she hated creasing her shoes but didn't want to walk like she got shot in the leg.

"Yo Matisse," I spoke to him on the phone. I had a few concerns to ask him about. "Laylah just grabbing her purse." I strictly told her not to but she might need it for her reasons. Girls just be girls. I told him about Devonta who was still downstairs waiting for Quez and Greg to come get him. We couldn't leave till he left so he wouldn't know. I told a lie and said that we were taking Paris and Matisse on a surprise dinner with just the four because they ain't want another party. He is a proper idiot.

"JALEN, LAYLAH, QUEZ AND GREG WANNA MEET Y'ALL," Devonta yelled.

"Let's go," Laylah said, leading the way.

"Ayy wassup lil Harris," Quez said, giving Laylah a big hug. They knew each other cause they would hang out last year which was when we were both drafted. Him and Laylah used to be neighbors but they were only friends. Greg knew her cause he been to a couple sixers games and she was with Tobias.

"Big brooo," Laylah laughed, kissing Quez's cheek.

"Wassup short stuff," Laylah said, turning to Greg.

"I'm taller than you," he responded.

"By two inches, Mario," she laughed.

"AY DON'T PUT MY MIDDLE NAME OUT THERE," Greg yelled.

"Yo your middle name Mario," Quez laughed. We were all in tears and Greg was kinda mad, he knew we were all playing with him.

"I'm going to the car see y'all later," Greg looked at everyone.

"Gregory gimme my hug," Laylah demanded.

"Damn chill," Greg responded.

"Aight let's roll," Devonta said heading out behind Greg.

"I'm trying to f*ck you and your bestie," Quez sang while giving Laylah a hug.

"Boy if you don't," Laylah chased him out the door.

"Thank god they left, now we can go," Laylah exclaimed like a little girl.

"Let's go," I laughed.

"Hehehe," Laylah mocked my laugh, grabbing the keys outta my hand.

"No you ain't driving my car," I yelled, chasing behind her. This girl, she is something else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~