03| Betrayed

Nandini watched as Dadi helped Manik settle in a chair at the dining area where everyone was settled for dinner before she took one of the seats beside him and Daadi took another. She carefully observed everyone as Riya Aunty served dinner and while she had her food, she saw from the corner of her eye as Dadi started to feed Manik.

Niharika observed everything, noticing how the new bride ignored Manik before smirking as realization dawned on her that Nandini might be forced into this marriage. Her mind automatically started working in every direction as she planned to have Nandini on her side, leaving that mental piece alone with that old woman.

"Nandini beta," Niharika called out sweetly with a fake smile plastered on her face, making Nandini flicker her eyes to her in question. "I apologise from everyone here that we didn't welcome you the way you were supposed to. It just took us by surprise."

Nandini nodded with a tight lipped smile while Dadi stared at them suspiciously and Manik silently played with the food on his plate.

"So, I would love to know about you. Did you work anywhere before your wedding?" Niharika asked.

"Yeah," Nandini said, a smile lightening up on her face as she recalled back to the only time when she truly felt free. "I worked as a teacher in an orphanage."

Niharika forced a smile with a nod as if pleased with her answer, despite the disgust at Nandini's selfless act. Soon, everyone caught up on Niharika's plan, except Dadi and Manik, and eased Nandini in a conversation about her job, acting as if they truly cared. Manik stared with a pout and his eyes shining in betrayal as Nandini's laughter rang out in the house when she picked up and played with that small boy, Jaspreet.

"Dadi. Mereko yaha dinner ni karna," Manik said as he turned to his Dadi, his bottom lip wobbling, letting the old woman know that he was seconds away from bursting into tears.

(*Grandma, I don't want to do dinner here.)

Patting his cheek, the old woman forced a smile before she asked Riya silently with her eyes to bring Manik's food upstairs. They both got up, Manik holding his breath as he watched his Nanni Mumma with hope that she will turn to him and stop him but she continued to talk with the bad uncle with a smile who calls him mental all the time.

He immediately wiping the tears that escaped his eyes, remembering how his Dadi taught him to be strong in front of bad people and turned around, leaving them behind.

•••••

A smile was etched on Nandini's face as she retired to her room, remembering the dinner with everyone. She sighed in contentment at finally having a feeling of belongingness after her parents death.

Nandini froze outside Manik's door as he sniffed while Dadi pleaded, "Please eat it, Manu. Don't you want to become a healthy boy like your Papa?"

Manik shook his head and sobbed, "No. I want my Mumma and Papa. Unko bolo woh dono vaapis aaye aur Manu aur uski Dadi ko leke jaaye. Mere ko ni rehena yaha pe. Please Dadi. Unko bulao naa!"

(*Tell them to come back and take their Manu and his Grandma with them. I don't want to stay here. Please, call them na!)

"Acha mai unko bulaungi lekin aapki Nanni Mumma ka kya? Fir woh agar apne baby ke liye royi toh mai kaha se laungi?"

(*Okay I will call them. But, what about your Nanni Mumma? What if she wants her baby? Who will I give her?)

"Woh meri Nanni Mumma nahi hai," Manik shouted, startling Nandini, her heart filling with immense regret as he gibberishly added, "Woh bohot buri hai. Woh bhi mere ko mental samajh thi hai tabhi toh un sab ke saath itna bate aur dinner kar ri thi." Manik gritted his teeth as he spoke his next words, "Uss Jassu ko toh apni godi mai lekar khila bhi rahi thi. Aur uchi uchi has bhi rahi thi. Mere saath toh kabhi nahi hassi."