'And now, I know just where that limit is. Even using the Wall Shadow, his Jutsu can only reach to here.' Temari stood as he put his fan down. '15 meters, 32 centimeters. That's the range of his attack. If I can just stay outside this line, he can't touch me.'

'He measured that guys range. This plays right to his strength. He's better at long range attack anyway. Heh. This match is as good as over.' Kankuro thought.

Shikamaru was looking up as he was watching the clouds. He look down as he put his hands in a certain way. Temari was on alert. Asuma and Kurenai caught Shikamaru's stance. "What's that? A hand sign?" Kurenai thought.

Asuma smirk as he recognizes it. "No, he's not making a hand sign. It's something more like a habit." Asuma answered. "A habit?" Kurenai question in confusion. "That kid, he's like an old man. He likes to take things slowly. Heh. I mean, really slowly. That's why he's so good at a games like, Go and Shogi. He's always challenging me to a match."

Flashback Jutsu:

It was at a different location where Shikamaru and Asuma is sitting down. In between them is a wooden board as there are multiple chips layed down.

"Whenever he gets stuck in a move, he does that thing with his hands.

Shikamaru put his hands together as it looks like a hand sign. Asuma look up as he sees the stance.

Present Time Jutsu:

"What does it mean?" Kurenai ask. "He's working on a strategy." Asuma answer.

Flash Back Jutsu:

Shikamaru open his eyes as it was like he caught something. "Huh?" Asuma ask as he sees Shikamaru making a move. Shikamaru move a piece in a place as it made Asuma cross his arms.

"All the times we've played, I've never beaten him."

Present Time Jutsu:

"Well, that's fine, but this is a real fight, not some game of Shogi." Kurenai recalled. "Strategy on a game board is no difference from strategy on the field of battle, and all great generals know that." Asuma explain. "Shikamaru has got the mind of a great general, just you watch."

"You could have fooled me. Don't forget, I saw the test scores when we grouped the Genin. His were no better than Naruto's, maybe worse." Kurenai said as she remember the first day.

"He says the act of putting pencil to paper is a drag. It's too much work for him." Asuma recalled. "He'd rather take a nap than a written exam." Asuma said. "He would, huh?" Kurenai said.

Flash Back Jutsu:

It was at the academy was Asuma was writing something on the board. Multiple kids was taking notes as one had their head down and taking a nap. Asuma stopped his writing as he threw his chalk at them.

The kids turn and see that it was Shikamaru, groaning as he rub his head. Asuma groans as he was upset by how Shikamaru was.

"I didn't say he wasn't lazy. But he was so good, at strategy games, I had him take an IQ test."

Next there was some wooden puzzle blocks. Asuma tries to explain the meaning of it as Shikamaru in response. He slowly pick up the pieces as he was putting them together.

Present Time Jutsu:

"Well, what happened?" Kurenai ask. "Hmm, as I suspected, his score was almost off the charts, beyond genius. The kid has an IQ of over 200." Asuma answer.

"T--?" Kurenai's eyes widen by his response. "Two hundred?" Kurenai gasps as she turn to watch the match.

Shikamaru open his eyes as Asuma knows that look. 'He's done thinking. Now it begins.' Asuma said in thought.