Chapter 7: Stop Thinking Axel

“What did you see?” he tossed me on my bed so I bounced a few times. What did he mean?

          “What do you mean what did I se?” he took a few steps closer and hit me in the face; I turned and knew that I would have a mark on my face.

          “What did you see?” he grabbed my by the tie and yanked me toward his face, the last time I got this close to someone we ended up kissing. “Listen to me damn it!” He almost hit me again. “What did you see at the zoo?”

          It hit me, he wanted to know what happened to Jasper, I can’t tell him about the claws can I? No he doesn’t believe in them, and he might hit me again. I remember seeing one of the animals still living. A lion actually was still living, I think quickly and say. “He fell in the lions den, and was attacked by the lion.” I gulp as he raised his hand.

          “Is that all?” he said slowly scowling.

          “Yes…” I gulped out.

          “Yes what?” he pulled me closer, his bad breath almost made me gag.

          “Yes…Yes sir.” He loosened his grip on my shirt and pushed me back on the bed.

          “If I find out that you are lying, you will get something far worse than a few punches and slaps to the face.” He walked to the door, “Put some ice on that.” And with those final words he slammed the door shut. I sat on my bed the way he threw me for a few minutes, if I could stand up to him I would. I slowly walked to the bathroom, Oww! My ankle really hurt, he must have hurt it when he dragged me upstairs and when he tossed me around. I stumbled to the bathroom and sat on the toilet.

          “Axel?” I heard Sassy call from outside

          “One second.” I groan out and stand up and stumble to the door, I slowly opened it and Sassy stood with a take out box and a bag of ice.

          “I knew what was going to happen, and Im sorry.” She walked in my room and helped me to the bed. I lay back on the pillows and she sat in front of me, “Tell me what hurts?” She looked me over and saw my face; she gently put the ice on my cheek and in winced.

          “Oww…thank you Sassy.” I managed to say, I propped up my foot on a pillow at the end of the bed and closed my eyes. She lifted her head to mine and kissed my cheek, was it possible to be in love after a few days? If it was then I was love struck. Her lips were warm against my cold skin, bruised and throbbing. I opened my eyes and looked at her, eyes sparkling and her cheeks were like roses. She had her hair tucked behind her ears and her dress was lower than it was earlier. I lifted up my hand to brush away a stray hair from in front of her face.

          “Sassy, about the claws, what are we supposed to do?” She perked up and turned to look at the wall.

          “I don’t know it’s not like we can just lock up the hotel. People still want to check in. Everyone seems like they want to live here just for a while.” It’s true even more people checked in yesterday, and we still have so many empty rooms.

          “Wait, isn’t it that the pack can’t survive without the leader?” I looked at her

          “That’s what I heard, kind of a cause and effect thing.” That’s when it hit me, if the leader were to “die” or be killed, maybe the other claws would die out.

          “We need to get some target practice, guns, knifes.” Sassy widened her eyes as if I was some ghost or alien.

          “No, you aren’t thinking what I think you’re thinking are you?” she gulped but I simply smiled.