Once Upon A December

Start from the beginning

"And it was still three months too long," a new voice spoke before May herself could respond the same. The former prince, Ben, had walked on over to them with his guests, greeting his wife and nephew. "Hi uncle Ben," Peter greeted sweetly in returned, also hugging the man around the knees. "Hey, Peter. You remember your uncle Tony, right?" Ben asked as to reintroduce the boy to the man, and Peter nodded immediately. "Hello," he reluctantly waved, but Tony flashed him a welcoming grin in turn.

"Peter," his aunt called to him again. He turned over to her to see that she held out something in her hands. "Look at what Ben and I have for you." Peter's eyes sparkled in wonder as he stared at the item. In front of him was a small, square music box that was red and black but design with some silver that were shaped like webs. Ben then kneeled to his level and handed him something as well. It was a black pendent, but as Peter's eyes turned back to the music box, he noticed a keyhole in the shape of the pendant. Placing the key in, the music box began to open with two figures holding each other in a dance and spinning as a familiar lullaby escaped the box and sung in Peter's ears.

"We made this for you," the older royal explained, "so you wouldn't have to feel alone all the time whenever me and May are in New York, and your parents have the kingdom to run."

The young prince stared up at his family in awe before encasing them both in another hug. The gift itself was very thoughtful. Peter would often find himself bored and lonely in the big palace with no one to accompany him. After all, he had no direct relatives living nearby—except for his distant cousin, Betty. Though even she still lived farther away to where she couldn't frequent the palace everyday. The life of a prince was a lonely one indeed, but he knew their intentions were to ease the separation just a bit. So he'd cherish the music box for as long as he could.

"I promise, one day when you're old enough, we'll take you to New York with us." May held out a pinky for him to hold on to. For a moment he paused, but then lifted his hand to seal the pinky promise. "So we can be together again?" Peter asked, hopeful. To which Ben nodded, "Together in New York."

Just as Peter was to head back into another dance with his mother, he spotted the sight of a young girl in a servants outfit standing by one of the large pillars. She met his eyes too, which prompted him to shyly wave at her. She waved back but was quickly ushered by the voice of another maid. "Michelle! Get back here, you know you only belong in the kitchen."

The night continued on from there with the silent promise filling excitement in Peter's little body. However, they would soon learn that they would never be together again after that. For a dark shadow appeared upon them followed by green mist and the sign of an approaching storm that cold December night.

The shadow descended upon the Parker Palace like a powerful force until a familiar man materialized into shape. His name was Quentin Beck, but the royal family had dubbed him as Mysterio for his mystical powers of illusion. They thought he was a powerful sorcerer helping to aide the kingdom, but they were wrong... he was a fraud! Instead, he had actually been in collusion with the HYDRA Empire to infiltrate the royal family and overthrow them.

He was hungry for power, but just not in the mystical arts. When the king had learned of his awful plan from his friend, Tony Stark, who was perceptive enough to figure it out, Mysterio was banished from the kingdom. Little did they know, he bounced back in the shadows planning for an insurrection and his revenge.

"How dare you return to the palace," Richard spoke in anger as Mysterio sauntered to him. "But I was your confidante!" Mysterio feigned shock. The king scoffed at his words before retaliating, "Confidante? You're nothing but a traitor, Beck. You have no right to be here anymore. Get out!"