16. Cold Feet

Marco:

"This is for coming with me to that wedding..." Georgia said as she handed me box of donuts.

"Sweet!" I said offering her one as she took a step back.

"What happened?"

"I-", she paused, "Nothing."

"Whats bothering you, G?"

"It's nothing. I swear. I'll see you around then," she said scooting back to her desk. I snuck a glance as she ran her fingers through her hair before exhaling and then focusing on the screen in front of her.

I sat back up focusing on my computer screen.

Time then passed by. The human perception of time passing is a mystery in itself. Hours feel lengthy but months pass by smoothly.

Soon enough, the romance that began during the monsoons made its way to winter. Amelia and I made it a schedule to meet up for dinner, if she wasn't scheduled for a surgery that is.

As we walked past the crowdy streets full of people wearing coats and scarves, and into the less crowdy ones, still happy and bustling.

"Lets try that one?" Amelia asked tugging at my sleeve.

"Yeah let's go..."

We walked in and I put my coat behind a chair pulling one out for her. She put her hand on mine.

"I was wondering if we could sit on the same side..." she said looking at me.

"I'd love that," I said as I made some space on the couch-side of the booth.

She smiled before pulling herself closer to me. She paused knowing that I noticed her.

"Its quite cold, you know..." I said putting my hand around her shoulder, pulling close. She giggled.

"Welcome! I'm Dina and I'll be your server today. May I get your order?" the waitress asked.

"Can we get a menu first?" I asked.

She passed me the menu.

"What's recommended by the Chef?" Amelia asked.

"Our Italian cuisine is quite well-liked. We also have a great pastry collection for desserts."

"We'll take a Cannelloni and two Risottos please."

"Any drinks?" she asked tapping at her tablet. I looked at Amelia.

"Can I get your wine menu?" Amelia asked.

"Yes... Here," she said handing out a laminated menu card.

"We also have Non-Alcoholic drinks," she informed.

"Can we get 2 Ariel Chardonnays?" Amelia asked.

"Let me check," Dina said.

"I'm afraid we don't have Ariel Chardonnay," she informed.

"Just two beers then... Kingfish Radler," Amelia said.

"Are you sure?" I asked her.

"Yeah. Thanks Dina," Amelia said.

Dina left us.

"Are you sure you wanna drink?" I asked Amelia.

"Yeah... You don't want to?"

"Well... I thought you didn't drink..."

"I stopped drinking after a few months after my brother's passing because Jacob was afraid that I'd do something wrong. I remember those days. I would barely shower."