Prologue

Third Person

Flashback

Harry waited in line anxiously amongst the other first years for Professor Mcgonagall to return.
What was he going to be made to do? Was he to perform a spell he hadn't learnt yet? Or maybe he was to battle a-

"So it's true then- what they were saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts!"

Harry turned as he heard his name, to face a boy with blonde hair, grey eyes and a sneering look. The boy walked towards him.

"This is Crabbe and Goyle," the boy introduced, gesturing to his friends,
"And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy,"
the boy continued when suddenly Ron, who was standing next to Harry, snorted loud enough for Draco Malfoy to hear.

"Think my name's funny do you? There's no need to ask for yours!" Retorted Malfoy, suddenly turning on Ron.
"Red hair and a hand-me-down robe! You must be a Weasley." said Malfoy unkindly.

Ron glared back at him with unmistakable hatred. Malfoy turned back to Harry,

"You'll soon find that some wizarding families are better than others Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort (he looked towards Ron). I can help you there."

Malfoy held out his hand to Harry for him to shake. Harry thought for a moment- something about Draco Malfoy made him want to accept his friendship.

He knew, however, that Ron would never forgive him if he did, as it was clear that Ron already hated Malfoy.

Harry almost shook it, but then reluctantly replied to Malfoy,
"I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks."

Malfoy stared at Harry with a hint of sudden dislike. Harry knew he had done the wrong thing, and that he had made the choice he didn't want to, but he still went along with it, as it was obvious Ron was a better person to have as a friend.

At that moment, Professor Mcgonagall returned, tapping Malfoy on the shoulder for him to move along. Malfoy gave one last glance at Harry before returning to his friends.

Harry looked back at Malfoy and sighed. He knew he would never forgive himself for the choice he had made.