32|Argument

When we arrived at the carnival, there had been two more murders. The only way to scan for EMF without drawing too much attention to ourselves was to try and land ourselves jobs for the carnival, so we had to track down Mr. Cooper. We entered a tent, and Dean took the lead, asking if the man there throwing knives at a target had seen Mr. Cooper around.

"What is that, some kind of joke?" the man asked, pulling off his sunglasses.

The dude was blind.

"Oh. God. I'm, I'm sorry," Dean stammered.

"You think I wouldn't give my eyeteeth to see Mr. Cooper? Or a sunset, or anything at all?" the blind man continued.

Sam and I were cracking up silently behind Dean while he floundered.

"Wanna give me a little help here?" he hissed at us.

"Not really," Sam said while I shook my head.

"Hey, man. Is there a problem?" a midget in a red cape asked, coming in.

Dean turned, looking down at the guy and opening his mouth, but the blind man spoke first.

"Yeah, this guy hates blind people."

"No, I don't, I..." Dean tried to defend himself.

"Hey, buddy, what's your problem?" the short man asked him.

"Nothing. It's just a little misunderstanding."

"Little? You son of a bitch!"

Sam and I weren't even trying to hide our laughter now.

"No, no, no, no! I'm just, could somebody tell me where Mr. Cooper is? Please?"

We did eventually managed to find Mr. Cooper and were hired to pick up trash around the fair grounds. The meeting with him was weird. He went on and on about how we should go to school, get married, have a couple of kids, and then Sam had said something that shocked both Dean and myself. He said we didn't want to be regular and go to school. We wanted this. So that's how we found ourselves in Cooper Carnival jackets, scanning for EMF with our phones on walkie-talkie mode so we could communicate our findings to each other.

"Guys?" Sam's voice came through my phone.

"What's the matter, Sammy? Sounds like you just saw a clown?" Dean joked.

"Very funny. Skeleton actually."

"Like, real human skeleton?"

"In the funhouse."

"What is it, Sam?" I inquired.

"I was thinking, what if the spirit isn't attached to a cursed object? What if it's attached to its own remains."

"Did the bones give off EMF?" Dean asked.

"Well, no, but-"

"We should check it out anyway," Dean cut Sam off. "We'll head to you."

Dean had another run in with the blind guy, which I was sad I missed. When he had gotten to me and Sam, we had overheard a girl telling her mom about a clown that wasn't there when the mom had looked where the girl was pointing, so we were now staking out outside the girl's family's house.

"Dean, I can't believe you told Papazian about the homicidal phantom clown," Sam scoffed.

"I told him an urban legend about a homicidal phantom clown," Dean corrected. "I never said it was real."

"I'm just sorry I missed it," I mumbled and Dean glared back at me.

He pulled out a gun and cocked it, and Sam quickly pushed Dean's hands down so it couldn't be seen through the window.

"Keep that down," Sam hissed.

"Oh, and get this," Dean added. "I mention the Bunker Brother's Circus in '81, and their, uh, evil clown apocalypse? Guess what?"

"What?" I asked.

"Before Mr. Cooper owned Cooper Carnival, he worked for Bunker Brothers. He was their lot manager."

"So you think whatever the spirit's attached to, Cooper just brought it with him?"

"Something like that. I can't believe we keep talking about clowns."

A few hours later, the girl invited the clown into the house. We shot the clown, and it fell on its back before jumping up and running out, turning invisible. The parents came down with all the noise and demanded we leave their house, so we hightailed it out of there as fast as we could. As the sun was coming up, Dean pulled the minivan off the side of the road into a patch of trees. After gathering our stuff together, Dean removed the plates from the van and we covered it with branches to keep it better hidden from any cars that might pass by on the road.

"You really think they saw our plates?" Sam questioned Dean.

"I don't wanna take the chance," Dean explained. "Besides, I hate this friggin' thing anyway."

We started walking down the road, Dean in the middle with Sam on his right and me on his left.

"Well, one thing's for sure," Dean spoke.

"What's that?" Sam asked.

"We're not dealing with a spirit. I mean, that rock salt hit something solid."

"Yeah, a person?" I suggested. "Or maybe a creature that can make itself invisible?"

"Yeah, and dresses up like a clown for kicks? Did it say anything in Dad's journal?"

"Nope," Sam shook his head.

He cleared his throat, pulling out his phone.

"Who are you calling?" Dean demanded.

"Maybe Ellen or Ash'll know something. Hey, you think, uh, you think Dad and Ellen ever had a thing?"

"No way."

"Then why didn't he tell us about her?"

"I don't know. Maybe they had some sort of falling out."

"Yeah. You ever notice Dad had a falling out with just about everybody?"

Dean nodded casually, glancing briefly over at me and Sam lowered his phone. Sensing the argument that was about to ensue, I fell back a couple steps, close enough to keep up, but far enough away to give the brothers space.

"Well don't go all maudlin on me, man."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean this 'strong silent' thing of yours, its crap."

"Oh, God," Dean groaned.

"I'm over it," Sam continued. "This isn't just anyone we're talking about, this is Dad. I know how you felt about the man."

"You know what, back off, alright? Just because I'm not caring and sharing like you want me to."

"No, no, no, that's not what this is about, Dean. I don't care how you deal with this. But you have to deal with it, man. Listen, I'm your brother, alright? I just want to make sure you're okay."

"Dude, I'm okay. I'm okay, okay? I swear, the next person who asks me if I'm okay, I'm gonna start throwing punches. These are your issues, quit dumping them on me!"

"What are you talking about?"

"I just think it's really interesting, the sudden obedience you have to Dad. It's like, 'oh, what would Dad want me to do?' Sam, you spent your entire life slugging it out with the man. I mean, hell, you picked a fight the last time you ever saw him. And now that he's dead, now you want to make it right? Well, I'm sorry Sam, but you can't. It's too little, too late."

"Why are you saying this to me?"

"Because I want you to be honest with yourself about this. I'm dealing with Dad's death! Are you?"

Sam swallowed hard, looking upset.

"I'm going to call Ellen," he said walking out ahead of me and Dean.