Chapter 6~Movie Night

I woke up in Bucky's arms. He was carrying me from the car to my room.

"Hey handsome," I said, sleep accenting my voice.

"Hey doll," Bucky said. "You fell asleep in the car."

"What did you expect? You wore me out."

"Sorry about that," he said, kissing the top of my head. "But that does not count as a nap."

"The thought never crossed my mind."

"Uh-huh, sure."

When we got to my room, Bucky gently placed me in my bed. I could barely keep my eyes open as he tucked me in.

"Do you need anything before I go?"

"Where are you going?" I asked, grabbing his hand.

"To the kitchen. We have our movie night tonight, remember. I want to make you something."

"Oh, yeah," I said. "I forgot about the movie night."

"It's okay. You've had a busy day."

"Will you be here when I wake up?"

"I will."

"Promise?"

"I promise. Do you need anything before I go?"

"Yeah, can you help me with my oxygen?"

"Of course," Bucky said, putting the cannula in my nose.

"Bucky," I said, grabbing hold of his hand again. "Will you stay with me until I fall back to sleep?"

"Sure thing, doll."

"Thank you, Bucky." The last thought I had before falling asleep was how lucky I was to have found a wonderful man to spend my last few months with.

***

Bucky watched as Ash slept soundly. Her pale face was relaxed and she looked beautiful. It broke his heart to see such a vivacious and happy young woman, so frail and small in the massive bed. And she was small. She was naturally a petite woman, barely standing above five feet, but it seemed as if she had gotten smaller in the last 72 hours. Had it only been three days since he had met her? She turned his world upside down and he didn't want to think of the possibility of her leaving his life.

Bucky sat at Ash's bedside holding her hand as she slept. Her hand was cold, but her touch filled his entire body with warmth. For so long, all he could remember feeling was cold. It was like the cold in Siberia and being frozen time and time again had permanently settled into his bones. There was a time when he didn't think he would ever be warm again. Being with Ash made him feel like he did during long summer days in Brooklyn growing up. The hot days he would spend outside playing stick ball, capture the flag, or kick the can. When days were simpler and there was no threat of war or Hydra.

When Bucky was sure Ash was asleep he gently took his hand back, Ash didn't even stir. He leaned down and kissed the top of her head before leaving, breathing deep her scent of sunshine and vanilla before quietly leaving.

Once Bucky was in the kitchen he put his headphones in and pulled up Audible. Ash had told him about it while they were out, downloaded a bunch of books, and taught him how to use the app. Ash had said that all the books she had picked were her favorites.

"How can one person have so many favorite books?"

"I was and am an avid," Ash had told him.

"If you had to pick one, what would it be?"