Homework Help

Back with more Mason content but this time he's a little older! I got the idea from The Middle

"Dad, you have to sign my math test to say you saw it." Steve and Bucky's seven year old son, Mason, told Steve as he walked into the training room after school.

Steve stopped hitting his punching bag and turned to his son. Mason was holding the test folded in half so the score wasn't visible. Steve narrowed his eyes suspiciously, looking between the folded paper and his son.

"How can I sign the test if I'm not going to see the grade?" He challenged, crossing his arms across his chest.

"With a pen." Mason smiled, holding out a pen for him.

Steve looked at him unamused. "Okay Bucky Jr, give me the test." He demanded sternly, taking the test from the child. He unfolded it and looked back at Mason in disbelief. "A D-? You never get anything less than a B in math. What happened?"

"What's going on?" Bucky asked, stopping his sparring session with Sam and joining his husband and son. He looked at the paper in Steve's hands and his eyebrows furrowed. "Mase, how did you get a D? What happened?"

"I didn't understand it." He sighed. "I thought I did, but then I got the test and I kind of didn't."

Steve and Bucky looked at each other. "We're going to have to start helping him with his math homework." Steve sighed, the venture new to the family.

———

"Write it down." Bucky instructed Mason at the kitchen table, loosing patience with the homework they'd been working on for over an hour.

"Write what down?" Mason asked exasperated, rubbing his eyes.

"Your answer, 34. Write it down." Steve reiterated only slightly calmer than Bucky.

"Where the hell did 34 come from?" Mason asked, completely lost and frustrated.

"Language." Steve reprimanded him with a sigh.

"I just walked you through how to do it and we got 34 for an answer." Bucky gritted his teeth, trying desperately not to yell. Math had always come easy to him but teaching it did not.

"No! We have to show our work!" Mason raised his voice, pointing to the directions on his worksheet.

"Then show your teacher a picture of me because I'm the one doing all the work!" Bucky raised his voice louder.

Steve reached behind Mason and put his hand on Bucky's shoulder to calm him down. Mason threw his pencil down and rolled his eyes.

"Let's take a breath, calm down." Steve suggested, all of the family members doing just that. "Okay, Mason, do you remember the first step Dad walked you through?"

"Yeah only that's not the way we're supposed to do it." He explained tensely, trying hard not to yell at his dads again. He rolled his pencil on the table between his hands.

"Then how are you supposed to do it?" Bucky asked, taking another deep breath.

"If I knew that, we wouldn't be here. All I know is it wasn't the way you did it."

Bucky got up from the table and began pacing. "Good God! Why did they change math? Numbers are numbers!"

Sam walked in and rested a hand on Mason's shoulder. "How's it going, squirt?"

"It's not good. Can you help?" Mason sighed, looking at him pleadingly.

Sam looked at the worksheet and nodded. "Yeah, I know how to do this. My nephews learned addition this way, too. Steve, Bucky, out." He said, sitting where Bucky had been.

The fathers left the kitchen and looked at each other. "Sam is on homework duty from now on."