Ch. 1: A Girl With a Ponytail

"Oh, you've gotta be fucking kidding me!"

My irritated exclamation seemed to almost echo in the small bookstore as I vented my frustration at the young cashier lady. I'm sure my yell would've turned some heads if it wasn't for the fact that I was the only customer there. As one would expect, she was taken aback, and was quick to bow apologetically.

"I-I'm sorry, but as I said, we're out of stock for that specific volume, and the next shipment won't arrive until next week," I could hear her apologizing.

I sighed as I slipped my hands into my hoodie's pockets, and glanced at the cashier. Well, if we're being completely honest, it's not her fault. I was pissed because this was the third damn bookstore I've visited today. Third! I almost ran here just to make sure I'd get here before the place would close for the day! And it's always the same story: out of stock for the second volume of Warriors of Lotus. Who the hell has ever heard of a novel selling out in multiple bookstores? I mean, the first volume was probably the best shit I've ever read, but still, this is ridiculous...

Seconds passed by as I stood there, musing on the hours I had just wasted, all the while listening to the low, high-pitched humming of a fluorescent lamp mixed with some B-grade pop song quietly playing from the speakers.

Slowly and unsurely, the cashier raised her head. "...A-As I said, I'm truly sorry—"

"Yeah, yeah," I cut her off with a wave of a hand. "Heard you the first time..."

It was no use to stay here and keep giving her a piece of my mind, so I saw for the best to make my leave. Just before I exited the store, I happened to spot a poster on the wall, advertising the second volume of Warriors of Lotus. It was like one last 'fuck you' to me and the hours of walking I had to go through today.

If my tired legs didn't give away the fact that I've walked a ton today, it'd be the darkened sky. The sun was halfway through disappearing on the other side of the horizon, painting the clouds in darker shades of orange, and making way for the night sky. I glanced around, looking at the unfamiliar neighborhood I was currently at. I was at the other side of the town, about an hour away from my home. All for one fucking book...

My gloomy face broke into a faint grin. "Heh, getting this worked up over a book..." I quietly muttered to myself. Oh well, even though I wanted to get it today, I can always get it next week.

As I kept glancing around, my gaze came upon a vending machine, not too far away. At the same time, I was fiddling with the money in my pocket. Eh, might as well get a drink. After buying myself a can of orange soda, I decided to head around the corner to the riverbank to enjoy my drink, sitting on some stone steps. Facing east, it was a prime spot to witness the setting sun's light slowly disappear from the buildings on the other side of the river. Ugh, after all that frustration, I felt like having a smoke. If I had known this would've taken so long, I would've taken my cigarettes with me. I took my time to finish my drink, after which I threw the can away and stood up, stretching my legs. It's gonna take another damn hour just to walk home...

About half an hour of walking later I woke up from my thoughts, finding myself in yet another unfamiliar neighborhood. Seeing how dark it had gotten, I realized to take a look at my watch, seeing just how late it was. Well, I wasn't in that much of a hurry. As long as I headed east, I'd eventually find a place I'd actually recognize, and thus find my way home. As I strolled along the dimly lit street, I quickly noticed how peaceful it was. Though it was a Friday night, it still had been a while since I came across another pedestrian... Or, at least that's what I thought, until I saw someone appearing from around a corner, a bit further ahead of me, and completely ruining the mystifying atmosphere. Yeah, of course there are other people living in this town.