𝟎𝟓. 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐛𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡

𝐉𝐮𝐥𝐲 𝟏𝟐𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟖

You emerged from your cabin when the dinner bell chimed loudly over the trees. Still groggy from your nap, you feared that it was the police sirens again. But eventually you mustered up the courage to put one foot in front of the other and march your way back toward civilization. 

You could lie and tell yourself that you were brave. Or you could tell the truth and admit that you were on the verge of starvation. Regardless, you didn't see your headache going away anytime soon.

It was hard to believe that the mess hall that was once so empty and evil—all creaky floors, rusty knives, and empty threats—could be so full of life now. Campers darted between tables, spraying soda cans and sharing meaningless conversations. But nothing you say really means anything when you're ten years old, does it?

Nearly every head turned to watch you walk down the aisle. Red and blue shirts, divided right down the middle of the room. If there was ever a time that Shadyside and Sunnyvale could agree on anything, it was now. And the topic on everyone's mind was you.

There was an open seat right next to Nick at the Sunnyvale counselor's table. You only bothered to notice because it was the first time all summer that people weren't crowding around and tearing each other apart to get his attention. 

And due to the fact that it was right below the wall that Nurse Lane tried to gut you open against.

You pretended not to see it. His conversation with Will outside of your cabin was enough to steer you right back on track with the whole 'hating the Goode family' thing. Instead, you pressed forward until you were standing next to the Shadyside counselors.

"There's my girl," Tommy looked up, smiling wearily in an invitation to sit down. Whether he knew that you were coming or he was just plain hoping, your usual seat was left vacant for you just like it always was. Tommy reached out for you and you melted into the wooden bench, letting his arms engulf you completely.

"You didn't come to see me," you mumbled into his shoulder. Across from you, Cindy Berman pretended not to notice the exchange; chewing awkwardly on whatever the kitchens were serving that evening.

Tommy frowned and pulled you closer by the hip. He always found an excuse to curl his fingers around your belt loops. He just liked having you close. "Nick said you weren't seeing anyone. Didn't wanna bother you."

That little shit.

Glancing back over your shoulder, you caught the exact moment that Nick ducked his head to avoid being caught staring at you. His charcoal eyes were round with guilt and something else. Something you didn't have the energy to decipher.

But you didn't want to think about Nick. Because thinking about Nick made you think about Will and thinking about Will made you remember the disturbing hushed words that you overheard in the woods. So instead you shook the Goode boys from your mind and braved a shy smile. "You could never bother me, Tommy. You know that."

"Is that a challenge?"

"Oh for sure."

He beamed down at you; playful, protecting, and concerned all at once. Neither of you were going to talk about the kiss that almost happened. And that was fine by you. You had all summer to simmer in each other's presence.

At the table with you were Cindy, Joan, Alice, and Alice's boyfriend Arnie. Gary usually sat with you for dinner too, but tonight Kurt had him bussing tables. It's once in a blue moon that the Sunnyvale counselors get assigned any job pertaining to dirt. Cindy reached out across the table and successfully broke your train of thought.