Chapter 12 - Two of Us

I returned to the scene where I had left Haec behind, fleeing to save my own life from the [Djinn]. The magical ash on the ground was still there, but it was vanishing— the magic holding it together diffusing back to the surroundings. My footsteps dispersed what was left of the ashes as I stepped to the small pool of black liquid at the base of the hill.

There was a trail here; the wound I had left on the Greater Demon, while not severe, drew enough blood to leave a path to follow. So I followed it, distributing my Stat and Skill Points as I did.

Stats:

[Available Stat Points: 5]

[Vitality]: 17

[Strength]: 12

[Endurance]: 20

[Wisdom]: 24

[Agility]: 40

Skills:

[Available Skill Points: 3]

[Basic Fire Creation] - Lvl. 5

[Double Step] - Lvl. 5

[Fire Strike] - Lvl. 10 (Maxed)

[Fire Blast] - Lvl. 4

[Passive - General Tool Proficiency] - Lvl. 2

[Unused Skill Slot] x2

I thought about it, just barely. I had been as fast as the [Djinn] was— or maybe even slightly slower— before I raised my [Agility] as I fled. But I spent everything I had on it, and while I was probably faster now, it couldn't hurt to raise it even more. So I spent another 2 Stat Points on it.

[Strength] was useless here. And so was [Endurance]. That left [Vitality] and [Wisdom]. Which would I spend more on?

[Vitality] seemed tempting— I was fain to raise it after having nearly died just earlier. But then I wouldn't be able to harm the [Djinn]. And I did have a way to harm him.

[Basic Fire Creation].

It was a taxing Skill. And I couldn't conjure up as large of a flame as I was able to with even [Basic Fire Conjuration]. Yet it could hurt the Greater Demon, even if slightly. With that in mind, I decided: I added all of my Skill Points to [Basic Fire Creation] and 2 Stat Points to my [Wisdom], leaving the last Skill Point to [Vitality].

Satisfied, I glanced back up at the terrain around me, still following the trail of blood the [Djinn] had left behind. It was more difficult to track now. But I was getting close.

Now Entering [Demon King's Domain].

I continued my run even with the notification in my head, not even pausing slightly as the words settled in and phased out. And finally, I arrived.

The trail of blood led to an opening on the side of the hill. I stopped right outside of it, staring into the illuminated cavern; crystals of light hung on the side of the white walls, shining as bright as a fire. Taking one last look around to ensure the same trail I had been following led me into the cave, I entered it.

Now Entering [Lair: Lucerna's Lamp].

This place was... a lair? I eyed the side of the seemingly natural walls dubiously; it definitely seemed to be smoothed out— but refined, not made. The [Djinn]— was his name Lucerna?— had appropriated this place as his own. I thought for a moment to ask him how he did that, but dismissed it quickly.

No, I told myself, materializing a small spike made of fire. All that matters now is I get Haec out of here.

Maybe we could have our own lair to ourselves in the future. But that wasn't important at the moment. I could not lose focus. And I was glad I didn't.