Chapter 16

"Oh, I can come back later," You say

"No, it's okay, is everything alright?" You notice that he looks slightly uncomfortable, you're going to be as quick as possible.

"I was just gonna say that I'm going to sleep now, so I'll see you tomorrow, you should get some sleep as well, you're still drunk remember," You smile at him, and he does the same back.

"Sleep well y/n," He backs away from the door, "I'll hopefully be seeing you tomorrow," He says as he closes the door, you step back and turn around to your room, only then do you realise how hot your face is, you must look such a mess. You enter your room and close the door behind you, you've decided to change your bed sheets, since you don't like the idea of sleeping where your dead body once was. After you've finished, you get changed into an oversized t-shirt and a pair of shorts before you turn off the lights and lie down in bed. Out of nowhere, a thought pops into your head, what if you don't wake up in the morning? What if Bruce and Tony blame themselves? You'll never know, all you can do is hope. The thoughts stay in your head until your mind shuts off and you fall into a deep sleep.

Luckily, you wake up the following morning, clearly some people hadn't expected you to, judging by the fact Bucky and Nat are stood at the end of your bed, staring you down. When they see you awake, they rush over to your side.

"What are you doing in here?" You ask, "I was just sleeping," 

"Well we just," Bucky starts, 

"We just wanted to see if you were okay," Nat finishes.

"Really," You say, unconvinced, "Or did you just want to see if I'd wake up?"

"Maybe..." Bucky mutters

"To be honest I didn't think I would either, but here I am." You smile sadly at Nat, before swinging your legs off the side of the bed. "Well, now you know I'm not dead could you please leave. Thanks." Nat sighs as you stand up and practically push her out of the room.

"If you don't feel well y/n, you have to tell me, okay?"

"Fine," you smile as they both walk towards the door, Bucky turns around and smiles at you nervously before he leaves.

You close the door behind them and slump down onto the floor, you still have a pain in your chest, but hopefully Tony and Bruce will help with that. You stay leant against your door for a few minutes before pulling yourself up and going to get dressed. After that, you brush your teeth and hair. You're just about to open the door to leave when someone on the other side knocks, startling you. 

"Shit," you mutter, before opening the door to see Tony stood there, looking happier but more tired than usual.

"It's good to see you too," he laughs, "Me and Bruce have practically finished if you'd like to come and check it out."

"Really?!" Your eyes light up, "I'd love to," Tony grins and gestures for you to go ahead of him. You stride out of your room and walk quite quickly down the corridor towards the lab. When you get there, Bruce is leant over one of the worktops, clearly busy.

"She's here Bruce," You hear Tony shout behind you. A few moments later, Bruce puts down his equipment and turns to face you. 

"Good morning y/n," He says cheerfully, you can tell he hasn't slept, the dark rings around his eyes are a big giveaway. "Would you like to come and have a look at what's going in your chest."

"Sure," You grin and walk over to him, he's holding a weird-looking metallic object. It definitely isn't an arc reactor. A ring of black material holds a clump of metal (probably vibranium) together, it's shiny, and you can see two pieces of wire just sticking out of one side. Bruce explains to you that when implanted into your body, the metal ball will send tiny electric shocks through your heart to keep it beating. You're still nervous about the operation, but the fact Bruce is doing it makes you feel safer.