|7.7| Kreacher's Tale

Start from the beginning

So she moved to the other door on her left and opened it, the brass knob chilling in her palms. The door gave a deafening creek and her eyes were ambushed with the overwhelming colour of green. This bedroom was slightly smaller than her father's, though it had the same sense of former grandeur. The Slytherin colors of emerald and silver were everywhere, draping the bed, the walls, and the windows. The Black family crest was painstakingly painted over the bed, along with its motto, TOUJOURS PUR. Beneath this was a collection of yellow newspaper cuttings, all stuck together to make a ragged collage. Grace crossed the room to examine them. The paper clips were all about Voldemort, Grace realised.

Grace noticed another photograph: a Hogwarts Quidditch team was smiling and waving out of the frame. She moved closer and saw the snakes emblazoned on their chests: Slytherins. A boy in the middle caught her eye, he had the same moonstone eyes, the same dark hair and slightly haughty look. He looked very like Sirius.

Her feet took off to the door. There were deep scratch marks in the paintwork below a small sign that she had not noticed in the dark. She peered her eyes at the golden nameplate which hung on the door.

Do Not Enter
Without the Express Permission of
Regulus Arcturus Black

Grace's mouth opened slightly as it hit her. This room belonged to her Uncle Regulas. And moreover, the locket --

"Grace?"

Harry had just exited from Sirius's room, a piece of paper held gently in his hand. He watched her as she stared, the name searing into her brain.

"He was my uncle," she breathed out. "R.A.B --"

"Harry! Grace!"

Hermione came panting up the stairs, relief evident in her eyes as she saw the two in the hall.

"We woke up and didn't know where you two were!" she said breathlessly. She turned and shouted over her shoulder, "Ron! I've found them."

Ron's annoyed voice echoed distantly from several floors below.

"Good! Tell them from me they're gits!"

"Don't just disappear, please, we were terrified! Why did you two come up here anyway?" She gazed around the ransacked room. "What have you been doing?"

"I found him, Hermione!" said Grace. "R.A.B."

"What --"

"He was my uncle," said Grace and pointed toward Regular door. "Regular Arcturus Black."

Harry and Hermione stared at the golden sign.

"Sirius's brother?" Hermione whispered. "Your uncle, Grace?"

"He was a Death Eater," said Harry. "Sirius told me and Grace about him, he joined up when he was really young and then got cold feet and tried to leave – so they killed him."

"That fits!" gasped Hermione. "If he was a Death Eater he had access to Voldemort, and if he became disenchanted, then he would have wanted to bring Voldemort down!"

Hermione leaned over the banister, and screamed, "Ron! RON! Get up here, quick!"

Ron appeared, panting, a minute later, his wand ready in his hand. "What's up? If it's massive spiders again I want breakfast before I –"

He frowned at the sign on Regulus's door, in which Hermione was silently pointing.

"What? That was Sirius's brother, wasn't it? Regulus Arcturus . . . Regulus . . . R.A.B.! The locket – you don't reckon -- ?"