Cheatham County - Ryan Upchurch

ابدأ من البداية

"You sound like your momma." You chuckle weakly. "Maybe you can come visit me. I'll sneak you into my dorm."

He laughs. "I'd love that."

"It's just Murfreesboro." You sigh. "Just an hour."

"Yeah, just an hour." He echos, looking down at his blunt fingernails.

You look up at him, the rising sun highlighting your face and he sighs. "I love you, you know that, right?" You whisper, taking his hand.

He looks back at you and nods. "And I love you back." He licks his lips. "I want you to go. I want you to go to school and do what's best for you. I want you to take care of yourself 'fore you take care of anybody else. Please."

You nod.

"Do it for you."

+++

You've finally graduated college and now you're on your way back to Ashland City for a couple months.

You pull up to the trailer Ryan lives in and park. You hop out of your car and head to the screen door.

"(Y/N)." Ryan's mother says with a smile. "I missed you, baby." She hugs you.

"I missed you too."

She waves you inside. "Where's Ryan?"

"He's been off doin' some music thing." She says with her back turned as she stands at the stove. "He'll be back any time, though."

And within a couple minutes, there's a purr of an approaching car.

"Hey momma." Ryan says, kicking his muddy boots off on the porch before heading inside. "(Y/N)?"

"Hi." You say shyly.

Four years have done him well.

He's got the gap in his teeth fixed and he's been working out. He's got more tattoos but that's no surprise.

"C'mon, let's talk somewhere else." Ryan says, his hands in his pockets.

You follow him to his old bedroom where he shuts the door behind you.

"You look good." You mumble, looking his inked, muscled arms over.

"So do you." He responds. "What're you doin' back?"

"I graduated. I'm home for the rest of my stuff and visitin' and stuff." You say, leaning against the wall behind you. "Your momma said you's working on some music?"

"Yeah." He nods. "Been busy tryna make a name for myself, y'know?"

"I bet you're doin' real good."

"I am." He admits. "Kickin' ass, takin' names."

You laugh and sit next to him on the bed. "It's nice to see you again, Ry." You say, taking one of his inked hands in both of yours. "I missed you."

"You- you did?" He clears his throat, he's touch-starved. He missed the way your hands feel against his body, even if it's just as simple as hand holding.

"I thought about you every day."

He clears his throat again then stands. "You did?"

"Of course I did."

"Why didn't you come home to visit then?"

"It would've been too hard to leave. I couldn't do it. I probably woulda never went back if I came home to visit."

He nods, his hands in his pockets. "Are you mad at me for not comin' home?"

"I was." He admits. "But it's prolly good that you didn't. I prolly wouldn't have let you leave." He laughs weakly. "You busy tomorrow night?"

"Nope."

He nods, more to himself than to you. "I'll pick you up a six." He states. "Sound good?"

"What're we doin'?"

"I dunno yet. We'll find out tomorrow." He kisses your cheek then excuses himself.

You sigh as you stand and leave the trailer, speeding off to your home, Ryan's voice echoing in your head and his face making your heart flutter.

You can't wait to see what tomorrow reunion date has in store but knowing Ryan, it's going to be one you'll never forget.