Leaving - Zach Bryan

...And I hope the world don't mind
All the simple things I ask
Like a porch with good lighting
And to hear my lady laugh
And I'll act indifferent
Because I don't want to leave
Because leaving's for a younger man
That I don't want to be...

You sigh as you cuddle further against Zach. He's home from the military for the week but he's about to head back to base.

"We're not close enough." You mumble, sliding an arm up the sleeve of his shirt. He laughs and presses a kiss to the top of your head. "I need to be in your shirt."

He holds you closer, your forehead pressed against the side of his neck as he wraps his arm around you tighter.

To say you missed him would be an understatement.

You missed the fucking shit outta him.

It's been rough as most military relationships get strained and stretched, but right now, none of that matters.

You're finally together again.

For a few more hours at least.

He's catching the last bus out just to spend as much time as he can with you.

He sighs as he checks his watch. "Two hours."

You lean up and look down at him. He reaches up and brushes your hair from your face. "How much longer til you're home?"

"Six weeks."

You sigh and cuddle up into his side again.

"I don't want you to go." You mumble. "Six weeks is too long."

He rubs his hand across your back. "I know baby."

After a while of silence, he glances down and sees you asleep in his arms and he smiles, gently shifting you over.

He slowly sits up so he doesn't disturb you and starts redressing in his military uniform. Quietly, so quietly, he slips out the door.

You stir slightly, stretching your arms out. You hum when you feel empty but warm sheets.

You lift your head and frown, dropping your head back to your pillows.

The sheets still smell like him.

He's gone.

Again.

But, you've handled six weeks so what's six more?