You Proof - Morgan Wallen

"... I need something you proof
Somethin' stronger than I'm used to
Yeah, I've been pourin' ninety to a hundred
Feel like nothing's gonna cut it, that's the hard truth
Yeah, I need something you proof
Oh, I need something you proof..."

Morgan sighs heavily as he tosses his notebook to the side of the couch he's sitting on. He glances around, the surrounding venue darkened by the tinted windows of the van he's sitting in.

It's been three months since you ended things with him. You gave him fair warning that you were heading back to Louisville for school and he didn't really believe you until you packed up your stuff and headed North.

Every day since hurts just as bad as the first night without you. He's been trying to heal but it's hard when he had plans for his life with you.

When you told him you were leaving, his heart was shattered.

He knew it was coming but he didn't want to admit that it was actually happening.

"Hey, Morgan. Sound check, ten minutes."

He looks up and nods before sliding his notebook back onto his lap to finish up the song he's been working on.

It's a new one, he might play it this weekend.

After all they are in Louisville and there's a chance that you'll be at the show.

Even if you aren't, he knows you'll be watching people's stories about it.

He sighs again as he pockets his newest creation, ready to do sound check with it instead of a couple others.

+++

The lights are hot and blinding as Morgan and his boys perform.

He looks over his shoulder at them and the backlights go down leaving a single spotlight on him.

"This next song is one I wrote about a girl." He clears his throat then chuckles. "This girl had her hooks deeper in me more than she knew." His blue eyes scan the audience, hoping- praying- that you're there with him again. "This is called You Proof."

He licks his lips as he starts into his newest song, his heart beating shared from anxiety and adrenaline.

"Yeah, I've been throwin' down the whiskey
I oughta get my money back
And someone said it drowns a memory
Ah, but it aint doin' jack
Yeah I've been sippin', I've been buzzin'
Shootin' doubles like it's nothin'
Ah, but nothin' makes you go away..."

He scans the crowd again but the balcony this time and he stops, his heart beating faster when he sees those comforting eyes looking back at his.

He can't help the smile that grows on his face and your lips match his.

He knew you'd be there.

As the show wraps up and the crowd clears, you make your way down to the barricade, hoping to speak to him before he leaves.

"(Y/N)." He says from behind you, his chest heaving and his shirt darkened with sweat.

A relieved smile shows on your face as you make your way into his open arms. Morgan squeezes you tight as he spins you around, holding you tight like you'll disappear if he doesn't.

You giggle as he sets you down, pushing your hair from your face. "I can't believe you're here." He looks you over with his hands on your shoulders.

"You thought I'd miss this? Morgan Wallen playing a sold out show in Louisville?"

He laughs, still looking you over. "God, I missed you."

You smile back at him. "I missed you too."

"Wallen!" He jumps slightly. "Let's go!"

"Five more minutes." He shouts back to his manager.

He huffs then nods, walking away.

You stand in silence for a little bit, his eyes focused on your hand in his. "I miss you." He mutters.

"I miss you." You reply.

"Been thinkin' 'bout you a lot." You nod back. "I need you back, (Y/N)."

"Morgan..."

"I know what you're gonna say but just- just listen. I love you, okay, I've loved you since we were kids in high school. You're the one for me, please, just give this a second chance."

"I don't want to keep you tied down, Morg. You're finding yourself right now and its not fair to you if-"

He cuts you off with a kiss. "I don't want anyone else."

"Morgan-"

"Morgan! Let's go!"

"I love you, (Y/N). I can't live without you." He grasps the sides of your face and kisses you hard. "I'll call you, okay."

"Okay." He keeps a hold of your hand as he starts to walk away, his heart aching when he loses your touch again. "Bye." You whisper, tears forming as you watch the love of your life walk away.