Chapter 21 ☆ In evil there's kindness

y/n

I woke up around midnight, when everyone, including the guard, was asleep. I quietly prepared the things I needed and was about to leave the camp when the thing that could put my plan in jeopardy happened. One person in the group — who I recognized as the girl I had helped with my Hydro vision — grabbed my leg as I walked and I had no choice but to stop. If I had yanked it away and stumbled it would have ruined everything I had so carefully planned. I wasn't going to let that happen.

I looked at her and she looked at me, both of us not saying anything. I could tell she wanted to know what I was doing, why I was awake and where I was going, I could read it in her eyes. When I slowly shook my head she let go of my leg, but followed me until I was a short distance from the camp.

I was sure that if I let the cat out, she would tell me she wanted to come with me. Since I rescued her that day, she has been deeply grateful and has often told me she wanted to help me too, but the opportunity never came up. Clearly, that night wasn't a good time either. I had planned everything so that it would only work if I acted alone, and having to take care of another person while I searched for my targets through the factory would only make it harder for me.

However, what she asked me was the only thing I didn't expect:

"Do you want to leave?"

At first I didn't know how to respond, but after a few moments I chose to shake my head.

"So, what are you going to do?"

I just want to go for a walk, I should have told her, but it wouldn't have helped. I thought for a few moments about a plausible excuse that would get her to go back to camp, but none that came to mind would have been good enough. At that moment I realized I had no other way out but to tell her the truth and try to convince her to go back.

So I told her, and she replied:

"Are you sure you want to do this? Even if you've done all your research, you still have no way of knowing exactly what awaits you inside. It could be very dangerous and you may not have much chance of success even with your two visions. Everyone wears masks! Are you sure you know who you're looking for?"

"Whatever is in their factory, I will go and find them no matter what. I'll never forgive them for what they've done... for what they did to him. He didn't deserve that fate, no matter his past."

"You really cared about him, didn't you?"

"Much more than I could ever put into words."

"Okay, I understand why you want to do this, but let me come with you—"

"No way," I interrupted her. "Like you said, it could be very dangerous and— "

She interrupted me too:

"At least let me finish what I have to say."

I went silent, not knowing what to expect.

"I realise that I would only cause you trouble if I went into the factory as well, so I would just like to accompany you there. I'll wait for you at the entrance, hide somewhere and help you escape in case something goes wrong. And it's not that I don't trust you or your plan, I've already seen the things you're capable of, I'm just worried about you. After all you saved my life, I wouldn't want anything to happen to you."

Her proposal sounded good, although I wouldn't have wanted to admit it.

I thought about it for a while, turned it over in my head and imagined every possible outcome, but I couldn't find any reason to say no.