Act 1 - part 4 - Umbra

My eyes close, the smell of fire begins to fill the darkness around me.

"Hello?" I call out. The spotlight is on me. "Is anybody there? Where am I?"

"You are nowhere." Whispers a voice. The spotlight grows larger catching little glimpses of surrounding people. "Yet my boy, you are everywhere."

"What does that mean?" I look up and see large red eyes peering down at me, judging me, feeding on my emotions. Tugging at the strings that others use to control my every move.

"Your life is that of a puppets, you live for others, you breathe everyone you meet." The spotlight grew to capture the whole crowd surrounding me in its stunning light. The men, women, and even children all look beaten down. Their eyes have lost all light, their skin is dirty, and their hair is clinging to their face.

"Are these people okay? And what do you mean I live the life of a puppet?" Shadows crept up my body slowly. Im trying to move my leg forward. The red eyes blinked then disappeared, they were replaced with the top of a box that is opening. The one opening the box is Icarus. He had strings in his hand, what is happening?

"Are you okay?" Hissed the voice. Icarus tied the strings to my arms and legs, he pulled me forward. As soon as I was dragged through the crowd of seemingly 'dead' people and the light of the spotlight the world I was im changed around me. Im now on top of a mountain. It's foggy and damp.

"Am I okay?" I asked myself. My limp body slowly inched towards the end of the highest cliff on this mountain. Dangling over the edge, another voice rose out of nothing. But this time it is familiar.

"Genesis? Do you know what love feels like?" It was a males voice. Could it be Icarus? "Genesis? Genesis? Genesis?" He repeated my name over and over.

"No..." I hung my head, below me is a sea of dead bodies, the sand is made of bones. "Love doesn't exist in such a world as this!"

"If love is nonexistent then how come you told me this?" He stopped talking.

It's my voice now. "I want you to know that I love you." Did I say that?

"Have you forgotten that night, Genesis?" The strings snapped. My body dropped, the wind pushed my hair into my eyes, my vision went black again.

"Genesis!" Ava? What's she doing here? "Genesis, get up! You idiot! We have training today!"

I sat up, "Where is Icarus?" I asked while rubbing my eye.

"What do you mean where is Icarus? He's been gone for three years! Now get up and prepare for a lecture from Commander Nadia." Ava marched out of the room.