"I know," she said, not meeting his gaze. "But it seems like every time I find someone, there are a hundred reasons why it won't work."

"Like?"

"Distance, unrequited feelings..." she trailed off.

"Lena, I know I'm not super keen on romance and everything, but...you deserve the world and one thing Mum managed to get into my head is that there is someone out there for you. Someone who will love and cherish you. Don't give up hope yet," he said. Giving her a quick embrace, he said, "I'm going to turn in. Do you need anything?" She shook her head.

"Thank you, Edmund," Helena said. "That was actually really sound wisdom."

"Don't act so surprised," he replied with a little laugh, giving a little salute. She chuckled before shifting her gaze back to the stars. Rubbing her eyes, she decided it was high time she got to bed. But when she turned, she saw that on the opposite side of the ship, Caspian was standing, his head in his hands. Without meaning to, she silently approached. About two feet from him, she stopped, unsure if she should speak to him or not.

Cautiously, she asked, "Caspian? Is everything all right?" He jerked upright, his eyes slightly wide. Once he caught sight of her, he relaxed.

"Sorry," he said.

"It's all right," she replied, coming to stand next to him. After they had stood in silence for a while, Helena asked, "Caspian, what happened to your father?"

"My father was murdered by my uncle when I was a child."

"What?" Helena said quickly.

"He was a great king but my uncle thought he could be a better one," he added. "So he killed him in his sleep. My mother didn't last much longer."

"I'm sorry," she said.

"Why did you leave your other country to go home?" he asked, glancing up at her.

"Someone there hurt me," she admitted after a long pause. "I trusted him with my heart and he left it in pieces. But, after I found out, I went to my room and found a letter from Lucy and Edmund talking about how lonely they are without Peter and Susan. I decided that they needed me more than Paris did. I never thought I'd end up in a place like this. Everything is so much different here."

"I've always wanted to go to your world," Caspian admitted.

In surprise, Helena asked, "Why?"

"It fascinates me," Caspian admitted with a shrug.

"I hope I can see your country one day," Helena said with a warm, wistful smile.

"Perhaps you'll still be with us when we go back," he said.

"Hopefully."

Seeing she was studying the stars, Caspian asked, "Are they different here than in England? The stars, I mean?"

"I couldn't tell you," Helena admitted with a smile. "I like looking at them but I can't tell you much about them. I'm not good at memorizing things." As her gaze turned back to the stars, Caspian's glanced over at her. The starlight cast her in a cool, pure light that enlivened her features. It was as though each ray rid her of imperfection.

"You remind me of your sister, in a way," Caspian admitted.

Raising an eyebrow, she asked, "Oh? Which one and why?"

"Lucy," he admitted. "I remember last time they were here, Peter wanted to do what he felt was best no matter what anyone else told him. Lucy was the only one who spoke of Aslan and tried to get him to see sense. I've never seen anyone remain so calm in times of danger as the two of you."

"Lucy has always been like that," Helena said with a fond smile. "Loyalty and truth have always been very important to her. She has the best heart of all of us Pevensie children. Peter can be arrogant, Edmund is swayed by his feelings of inadequacy, Lucy is insecure, Susan is..." She broke off. "Well, she is trying too hard to be grown up."

"And what about you?" Caspian asked, leaning forward on the rail and looking at her. "What fault of yours keeps you up at night?"

Helena frowned. "Probably my need to be perfect."

"No one's perfect," Caspian replied. With a small smirk, he glanced at her and added, "Although, a few come close." Helena blushed, looking away from him and letting her hair fall in her face, creating a block between them.

Brushing her hair back from her face and tucking it behind her ear, Caspian cupped Helena's cheek and said, "I'm glad you're here with us."

"Us?" she repeated quietly. Her voice was almost a whisper.

Clearing his throat, he pulled away his hand, amending, "With...the crew and, er, everyone else on this journey. We're lucky to have you."

"Oh," she said softly. Even though they weren't touching anymore, they were still only inches apart. Caspian glanced from her eyes to her lips before beginning to lean towards her.

"Lena!" Lucy called, coming out of the cabin. The two broke apart, taking a step back and looking for the source of the noise.

"I should go," Helena said, clearing her throat in an attempt to rid her cheeks of their flush. "See you later?" Without waiting to see or hear a response, she dashed away into the night.