Chapter Twenty

"What the-

Sophie woke up this morning determined to figure out what Sean had planned for Kylin. She was quickly slipping and that could mean the end of many things, her life for starters then Sean's. Sophie could handle many things, like Kylin's death. Her brother's though, she wouldn't be able to bear it. So in order to get some answers, she had to push him down the basements steps.

"Are you mad?!" He asked dusting off his clothes, standing up.

"No but Kylin is."

Sean rolled his eyes and folded his arms, leaning on the wall, "You mind telling me what I was pushed down a flight of stairs for?"

"Your wife is crazy. I know you smell it."

"Wife?" Sean smiled, "Of course she's my wife. Humans are so simple. Do you think she'd want a ceremony and all that? It would drive her crazy, if I wore a suit."

"Focus, you fuck!"

He rolled his eyes, "Of course I noticed the stench. I knew the second it happened too."

"So what are you going to do about it?"

Sean raised his eyebrows and got off the wall, "I'm going to let her do whatever she wants to do."

Sophie was perplexed by her brother's words, "You do know what this means, right?"

"No, and neither do you. I guess we're just going to have to ride this one out." He slightly shrugged and walked up the stairs and out the basement, leaving his sister to drown in her own worries.

"Hello, my heart." Kylin had been in the kitchen jotting down some things in a notebook when her surfaced from the basement.

"What has you so studious this morning?" He came up behind her and kissed her neck.

"Okay so yesterday was one hell of a day with me and almost everyone else in this town. So I came up with this idea. I'm going to throw a party tomorrow. Here at home."

"What's the occasion?" Sophie had finally came out the basement also, and stood at the entry of the kitchen.

"Well like I was telling Steven yesterday, it's a forgiveness party. Here look at this list." She shoved the notebook in Sophie's direction.

The centurion looked it over and saw many names, at least a hundred. She looked at Kylin questioningly, "This is a complete list?"

"Oh Goddess no! There isn't enough paper in the world but those are the essential people. Also, I wrote down the guys from group. They never wronged me but I guess now would be the perfect time for everyone to meet in person."

"And you're sure about this?" Sean spun Kylin around.

She wrapped her arms around his neck, "Of course I am."

Sophie watched the interaction before making up her mind, "Well I'll take a third of the list and you guys take the other two. Let's make some phone calls!"
*****

To the dismay of Kylin, a lot of the people on the list had changed their phone numbers. It wouldn't have been hard for her to obtain the new ones but she didn't want to go through the hassle and it would be a hassle since she planned on throwing the bash tomorrow. Her plan could still go on with a quarter of the list.

Kylin had an epiphany of sorts yesterday at the hospital. Her unlimited amount of years on this Earth shouldn't be spent in grief, anger and other trivial matters. So she started burying the first of hatchets by forgiving the person closest to her.

Kylin had to stop and think by herself for a moment. Relationships were built with work, trust, love and time. Soul bindings rendered time and work obsolete, trust and love came with the package.

A year ago there was no Sean and Sophie but there really wasn't much of Krista either. However, she did say some pretty disgusting things yesterday but was it worth giving up her best friend? Two hundred years from now, when Krista is long gone, will that argument even matter? Will the pain of her mother's death be so vivid or will she learn to accept it?

Kylin ultimately shrugged. As far she was concerned, her mother's death would forever weigh her heart down and Sean would forever lift it.

Let the chips fall where they may.

Once her car was parked and she entered the building, Kylin was in awe at Krista's new studio. It was adorable and she almost felt bad for not coming sooner but seriously... when could she find the time?

Soft colors like lilac and periwinkle adorned the couches, ballet poles, bookshelves, pictures frames, flower pots and other things. Krista should be extremely proud. She was always into dancing and started training earnestly a little before meeting Kylin. It was the only time she could disappear from her neighborhood and be herself. She got invited to competitions, started winning medals and then going overseas. The girl was pretty amazing at dancing.

Kylin heard a faint cry penetrate her thoughts and walked to the direction of it. She picked up Sasha from her playpen and kissed her forehead, "Oh hi, pretty girl! Where is mommy, huh?"

"Hi." Krista had emerged from some back room.

Kylin stood up straight, "Where's Luke?"

"With Eric."

"Oh yeah? So how has he been bonding with his step children?" She folded her arms.

Krista was taken aback, "What?"

Rolling her eyes, Kylin sat down on the nearest couch, "Save it. I already know the whole soap opera."

"See. Another reason why I said what I said. You think you're so much better than-

"Than you? I am. I had to bury my mother and my brother on my graduation day. I fought every day to keep their reputations in tact until I had nothing because I didn't give a fuck about how much drugs she took or how many he sold. So until you watch your mom die from sniffing a bad batch of coke or unwittingly follow Tony to his untimely death, you will never be better than me because I'm still here and I've always wanted to be. "

"He changed you. You were always pretty bitchy but now, you're just evil."

"Krista. Do you know what you said to me? Do you know that if you weren't holding Sasha, I would have whopped your ass all over your own house?"

"You hurt me."

"I helped you! You went home with me for one day after the funeral. The next morning you up and ran and I don't see you for eight years?"

"I wasn't used to that side of you. But you basically called me a bad mother what was I supposed to say?"

"Anything but that! Look. This isn't doing anything but throwing a monkey wrench into my plans. I'm throwing a party tomorrow at home. Be there at 6, find a babysitter and bring Eric too. Don't forget to dress up"