Meaningless

Chester: I've made bad choices, too. Like I said, no one is fucking perfect. I'm just fucking stunned right now. I'll talk to you tomorrow.

It was a simple reply to Mike's pleading messages, and that was all Chester was going to afford him. He hit send and then turned off his phone to board the flight he wasn't looking forward to. Thirteen hours alone in his head. Thirteen hours all by himself with his thoughts and nowhere to escape to. It wasn't going to be nice. He already wanted a drink. And a cigarette.

"Chester, you okay?" Dave asked after the first couple of hours of sitting next to the vocalist. They were in first class, and had more room to spread out than the coach passengers, but Chester had stayed curled up in his seat since they boarded. The singer leaned against the side of the plane, his feet tucked up on the seat, his arms wrapped around his legs as he sat with his headphones on. "Chester?" Dave tried again, but he got no answer.

He let out a sigh and looked at Brad, who was watching them. "I think he's really upset about having to leave Mike behind," Dave whispered as he leaned over the aisle to talk to the guitarist.

Brad nodded in agreement. "I think so, too. I don't really want to think about what might have happened between them this weekend but -"

"Don't even go there," Dave interrupted, his hand going out and slashing through the air. "Their business is their business. I don't need to know. The hickeys on Mike's neck were enough." He glanced over his shoulder at their singer. He'd never seen him look sadder. He let out a sigh before he turned back to the aisle. "Think he'll be okay?"

Brad looked around Dave at Chester's small frame and closed eyes. "He will. Ryan Shuck is picking him up at the airport and taking him to dinner."

"Yeah, I heard that," Dave acknowledged. "Which is good. At least he won't be going home alone."

That was where it was left as the conversation turned to things to do when they got home, and plans to start writing for the new album. At some point, they went quiet, too, and opted to catch a few winks before they would finally land back in Los Angeles.

The flight felt like it took forever, and Chester had only drifted in and out of restless sleep. His neck and back hurt by the time they landed. He didn't say much as they deboarded, other than mumbling an "I'm fine," to his bandmates' questions of concern and comments about him being quieter than usual.

It was hugs all around at baggage claim as everyone collected their stuff and disappeared one by one. Brad walked with Chester clear until Ryan Shuck was in view. "There's your buddy," Brad said as he clapped Chester on the shoulder, pulling him to a stop. "You know, Mike's only got a few more weeks on tour and then he'll be home." He was going for encouragement, wanting to remind Chester that they were at the end of things, not the beginning. He just had to hang on a little longer.

But he didn't get the usual Chester smile and affirmation that he'd be okay and Mike better hurry up and get his ass home. Instead it was a somber nod, and a faint farewell before Chester walked off, dragging his suitcase behind him as he went to meet Ryan.

Brad stood and watched from a distance as the two men embraced. It seemed to last longer than a friendly hug should. He's really upset. Thousand bucks says this is the last tour Mike ever goes on without Chester again. He gave them a last look and then turned to head the other way, searching for Elisa. Chester missed Mike, but Brad missed his wife, too. He missed being home and their routine that he'd gotten comfortable with. He made a mental note to call Chester in a few days and check on him.

"How was the flight?" Ryan asked as he let Chester out of their hug. He watched as Chester checked his phone with a frown.

Mike: I'm sorry. I'll stop bothering you tonight but I'm going to call in the morning so we can talk before my show.