Chapter 32 - History Lessons for Adults (And Ochako)

Start from the beginning

At this time over 16 million mutants existed, but due to the efforts of a particular Cassandra Nova, most of this population was destroyed and both the Brotherhood and the X-men were forced into hiding

After this, Wanda, aka Scarlet Witch, who had witnessed the death of many of her friends in the event, sort of broke and made it so they never died, creating the House of M. Though she soon realized that this reality was her creation and basically undid it and wiped-out mutant population at the same time as she literally shouted 'No More Mutants'.

With mutants depowered, they sought to get their powers back by various means, one of these was the Terrigen Crystals that the Inhumans possesses. But this had its backlashes and was soon dropped. The M-Day as it was called was finally reversed after the phoenix returned to earth and claimed its host, but this lead to a massive conflict among the Avengers, a group of heroes that worked to protect it with various other groups, and the X-Men because one believed that the phoenix was here to destroy earth while the other believed that it would save mutant kind. The battle resulted in splitting of the phoenix into 5 different hosts.

"The Phoenix Five." Toshi mutters. 

"Exactly, though the original 5 were Cyclops or Scott Summers, Emma Frost, Colossus, Magneto, and Beast

"Exactly, though the original 5 were Cyclops or Scott Summers, Emma Frost, Colossus, Magneto, and Beast. Magneto and Beast were later defeated by Magik and Namor who took up their places in the group. And at the same time, the mutant population was also restored, now up to about a few dozen. Post the conflict, things started to hit the fan as worlds started to collide and the convergence of Earth's began.

The Phoenix's host at that time, Hope Summers, had traveled back to her time, leaving the present-day forces with a Phoenix egg which hatched and bonded to Cyclops allowing him to destroy the forces of the earth. He was later taken aboard a life raft created by the Future Foundation and survived the literal end of the multiverse and landed him on Battle world, where for the first time the Phoenix was defeated, and cyclops was killed. Though once Reed Richards fixed the multiverse cyclops was resurrected without the phoenix force this time.

While the mutants were facing their own issues, Thanos the Mad Titan faced off against the Inhumans. This conflict lead to the release of the terrigen mist which while activated inhuman genes and the X-gene, killed active mutants and lead to the Inhumans versus Mutant Conflict, while it was resolved with only the death of a handful of mutants. After this, in a series of events that are too long to describe, the avengers once again faced off against the phoenix, because it took heroes from all teams as hostages and forced them to battle with the victor being the new host. The Phoenix and her new host flew away into space at the end, leaving every single one of Earth's heroes confused.