Your Love Is Killing Me

Start from the beginning

The person belonging to the footsteps rounded the corner from the front of the property, stepping into the flickering and dim glare from the window farther along the building. I gave a sigh and would have slumped over had I not already been sitting. It would seem there was no need for me to try and hide the two of us. Even if Jude didn't seem to care about who found out about what she'd been doing on her spare time, I was set on trying to establish some secrecy for her. Someone was going to have to teach her discretion one of these days.

Before I could speak, he was dropping down in front of Jude. "You really need to learn to choose better friends," said Seth.

The words were a little sharp, but not accusing thankfully.

"People have been telling me that forever. I mean, I chose you, so what does that say about me?" My words might have been strung together in an acidic fashion, but there was nothing cruel about me in that second. It was said almost in habit. My voice was painted in relief; there wasn't room for anything else.

That had Seth sending me his look. I always felt as if he was gauging the full extent of my words before replying. So I met his hazel eyes dead on, not bothering to put up any defense or cold expression for him. It had been a very long night, and I couldn't bring myself to start a fight. I was still a little disbelieving that he was here. He came when I called. It didn't matter that the conversation had only been fifteen seconds long, just covering the basics. I hadn't quite believed it when he'd promised he was coming. "Says you have bad taste," he said finally, turning his attention back to Jude.

His fingers were pressed against her neck, obviously groping for a pulse.

"I already did that," I pointed out, the first hint of annoyance sharpening my tone. I had experience looking after drug addicts - he should know better than anyone else. "If it was that bad, I wouldn't have been sitting around waiting for you."

He didn't reply instantly, his dark brows knitted as he let his eyes run over limp and pale form that was slumped on the ground. With a sigh, Seth ruffled his hair, sizing up the situation in front of him. His expression was carefully cut off. Leaning forwards again, he took her hands, pulling out her arms in front of her. With a frown, I was about to ask what the hell he was doing when he gently placed them back at her sides. The fact she was only wearing that cut up Red Riot tank top didn't escape him as he ran his hands up her arms briskly as if he was trying to resurrect some feeling into them. "She's freezing," he countered, this time with a fair amount of accusation.

"It's better than being back there," I said darkly, not daring to let my eyes dart to the building I was currently sitting with my back against. "You should have driven faster."

Seth instantly sent me a withering expression, but as his gaze lingered it slowly softened for some unknown reason before shrugging out of his dark jacket. My stomach swam dangerously when I watched him pull her fractionally forwards off the wall, draping it over her shoulders. He then placed a hand on her cheek, eyes narrowed in on her face. For a moment I thought he was about to try and talk to her, but when he spoke the words were obviously for me.

"She's out cold," he said, "No point trying to talk to her."

My eyebrows rose at that proclamation yet I stayed silent.

"My car's parked on the street," said Seth, forcing my mind back into the present time. "You just need to open the door for me, okay?"

My mind was still a bit fogged, and I frowned in confusion at his words, but it all became clear as he pushed up from the grass. In just the grey tee shirt, he reached down, pulling her up to her feet by sheer force. I watched as his arms flexed with her more or less dead weight, pulling her arm around his shoulder just as I had as he hooked his arm securely around her waist. While he hauled her up, Jude gave a little groan of discomfort, but there was no other movement from the girl. Seth gave a grimace as he leaned down, hooking an arm behind her knees as he yanked her upwards, swaying slightly on his feet but remaining upright