"What's on the agenda for today, Detective?", Heeseung asks.

A voice sounds from the front of the station in response, echoing into my office. "Is Detective L/N here?", all of you glance around to see Hwayoung's pale form hunched by the front desk.

"Looks like my first task is talking to Bumsoo's mother", you reply to Heeseung previous question, "Maybe she'll have some new information"

And with that small hope, you head back out of your office towards Hwayoung, bracing yourself for this confrontation.

As the door clicks shut, Heeseung springs from his seat, turning to Jay with a frown, "This is ridiculous! We need to tell her the truth"

"No", Jay replies, his voice quiet but commanding, "We've had this discussion already"

"Last night changed things. We'd catch the killer a lot quicker with the detective on our side", Heeseung continues, "We've been scouring through evidence for the past few days in the hopes of finding his location, in a town we just don't know, all while trying to convince the detective we've actually been trying to help her instead"

"Lower your voice", Jay steps forward and, though he's a few inches shorter than Heeseung, his presence isn't any less imposing. Heeseung scoffs and turns away with a shake of his head.

"Our job is to keep her off the trail", Sunghoon adds.

It's not much of a surprise Sunghoom would side with Jay again, but it only serves to fuel Heeseung's annoyance.

"If we tell her the truth, it's possible it would only put her in further danger", Jay says, understanding of his oldest friend's frustration, but not willing to budge on this matter.

Lying never did sit well with Heeseung, though.

Heeseung frowns deeply, "Keeping her in the dark could be even more dangerous. That vampire got far too close last night while patrolling"

"But we still managed to keep her safe", Jay counters.

"Yes", Jake says, a smile forming as he swivels in the chair to face Jay directly, "That was rather lucky. Covering up her scent with your own was a stroke of genius"

He grins wider, "And I'm sure it had nothing to do with the way the detective nearly melted into your arms at the gesture, all bundled up in your clothes like that. With great looks comes great responsibility, Jay"

The team leader's lip curls into a barely contained snarl and Jake's eyes sparkled with mischief at the response. Yet the memory of the moment they shared sends a ripple of excitement coursing through Jay - a feeling he very quickly dampens.

"The detective should know who she's up against", Heeseung continues, "We have the vampire's picture. Let's just show it -"

"Enough!", Jay yells, slamming his hand down on the nearby filing cabinet, hard enough to dent the metal top. He runs his hand over his close-cut hair, letting out a sharp breath to calm the outburst, "This is not up for discussion"

"It should be", Heeseung replies, though some of the fight is gone from his voice, "How many innocents has this vampire killed because of non-action?"