Chapter 16

"Why not you? Why not Will?"

"He's not related to..." Tessa murmured.

Cordelia slumped into a chair. Her hair was still messy from the bed; she had awoken with a scream as Belial tore the covers. Her eyes glowed green.

She saw the siblings in hell. Red like blood. Their clothes were ripped. Her heart nearly broke when she saw Lucie. And in the end it stopped.

"I need to go," Cordelia said.

"Where?" Tessa asked. Cordelia shifted uncomfortably on her couch and took off.

"Where?" Tessa repeated.

*Lucie*

"THIS is IT. WE'RE GOING TO DIE. TELL MAMA AND PAPA I LOVE THEM."

"I can't."

"Oh yeah," Lucie replied.

"Oh, I wish I had my dagger!" James exclaimed. "And I wish Daisy was here."

*Cordelia*

Cordelia, something is bugging you, I know it, Jem said in his silent voice.

"Since Belial, it has been annoying me."

What is it?

Cordelia took a breath.

"I am Lilith's paladin."

Being a Silent Brother, they did not show emotion, but even Jem couldn't hide his surprise.

Let it out, he said.

"How?"

Calm yourself, Cordelia. Might I take Cortana?

"Oh! Yes."

Jem slipped the gleaming golden blade into his hands.

We shall just do some experiments, Jem said, in that mysterious silent brother voice he always used. Cordelia sat down on the dead leaf grass. She closed her eyes and tried to calm herself. There was shaking. Shaking beneath her. But there couldn't be shaking in the Silent City of Bones.

"What?" She stammered and the ground devoured her.