Chapter 14

TW in the description - read it for this chapter especially

Thank you to Mindie_arts for the incredible image!

Alberto POV

There were no Mercenary raids over the next three weeks. The waters had become peaceful enough for the Sireni to return to their homes in Carollina. The patrols continued to guard the harbor just in case, but it felt like Portorosso finally began to relax. Sireni began to feel safe enough to leave their homes and walk the streets. Portorosso was finally coming back to life.

Despite the general cheer in the air, Alberto had become bleak in the passing weeks. He intentionally spent as little time as possible with his family, choosing to stay in his room or roam the town by himself. He worked double shifts at the Pescheria just for something to do. To keep his mind from racing.

Ever since the day when he visited Mattias, all Alberto could think about was the Life Bond. At first, he was bitter. He hated that Sireni had to carry that burden while humans were free to love whomever they chose. He hated that Luca was raised to think it was the only way to have a relationship. That it was the only way to truly feel togetherness with your partner.

But as the days passed, the bitterness turned to despair. Emptiness. Alberto was so preoccupied with the Life Bond he dared ask Sireni customers at the Pescheria about it. Their responses were always the same.

"Don't you worry, young Sireno. You have your whole life to find the perfect girl."

Or

"The day will come when you find your other half and be joined with a Life Bond. Treasure it."

Or the worst one,

"You can only find happiness through a Life Bond. Don't throw your virtue away with Bondless relationships. You'll only make yourself and your partner miserable. Wait until you're ready to commit to a Life Bond."

All of these responses only made things worse.

"So this is how Luca was raised to think. No wonder he turned me down. He can never have that with me. And these Sireni.... they would treat him like an outcast."

Even though their words hurt, he couldn't help but feel jealous. Alberto watched older couples holding hands in the square, middle-aged couples with young families, and even a couple no older than him feeding each other gelato. He wanted that.

But he knew it wasn't possible. Two males cannot create a Life Bond together, and Luca would never settle for a Bondless relationship. To be branded as "Unbonded". Alberto played with the idea of going back to being just friends, but he shook his head at the thought. He was too far past that. He wanted more than that.

But.....

If Luca was ok with going back to the way things were, if that was the only way Alberto could stay close to him, he would do it. He would bury his heart away and stay by Luca's side as a friend. He would watch him date and even get married from the sidelines.

Alberto froze at the thought, his hands halfway through wrapping a dozen sardines.

Would he be able to bear watching that happen?

He didn't know.

Luca POV

Luca swam around the Carollina village with no destination in mind. He had spent the last few days helping the Sireni go back into their homes and restart their lives. He watched a young Sireno herd a school of goatfish to the grazing fields.