106. murder of the riddles.

Start from the beginning

"Overindulged over Christmas, apparently," said Hermione, rolling her eyes as she led the way into the packed common room. "She and her friend Violet drank their way through all the wine in that picture of drunk monks down by the Charms corridor. Anyway..."

She rummaged in her pocket for a moment, then pulled out a scroll of parchment with Dumbledore's writing on it.

"Great," said Harry, unrolling it at once to discover that his next lesson with Dumbledore was scheduled for the following night. "I've got loads to tell him – and you. Let's sit down –"

But at that moment there was a loud squeal of "Won-Won!" and Lavender Brown came hurtling out of nowhere and flung herself into Ron's arms. Several onlookers sniggered; Hermione gave a tinkling laugh and said, "There's a table over here ..."

Antheia hesitated for a moment, before following Harry and Hermione towards a spare table.

"What's up?" asked Harry to Antheia, noticing her hesitation. "Do you have to meet somebody?"

"Yeah, I told Dean I'd meet him," said Antheia, and Harry felt his heart drop. "But, it's not important. He can't have anything interesting to say ... I mean, he never really does ..."

"You think he's boring?" said Harry, trying to sound as uninterested as possible.

"That's harsh," said Antheia. "I just would rather spend time with you and Hermione."

Harry had to use all his willpower to stop himself from grinning.

"So how was your Christmas?" he asked Hermione.

"Oh, fine," she shrugged. "Nothing special. How was it at Won-Won's?"

"I'll tell you in a minute," said Harry. "Look, Hermione, can't you –?"

"No, I can't," she said flatly. "So don't even ask."

"I thought maybe, you know, over Christmas –"

"It was the Fat Lady who drank a vat of five-hundred-year-old wine, Harry, not me. So what was this important news you wanted to tell me?"

She looked too fierce to argue with at that moment, so Harry dropped the subject of Ron and recounted all that he and Anthea had overheard between Malfoy and Snape.

When he had finished, Hermione sat in thought for a moment and then said, "Don't you think –?"

"– he was pretending to offer help so that he could trick Malfoy into telling him what he's doing?"

"Well, yes," said Hermione.

"Ron's dad and Lupin think so," Harry said grudgingly. "But this definitely proves Malfoy's planning something, you can't deny that."

"No, I can't," she answered slowly.

"He's also acting on Voldemort's orders," said Antheia. "Snape said something about 'your master', and who else could that be?"

"I don't know," said Hermione, biting her lip. "Maybe his father?"

She stared across the room, apparently lost in thought, not even noticing Lavender tickling Ron.

"How's Lupin?"

"He's not doing that well ..." said Antheia sadly.

Harry told them all about Lupin's mission among the werewolves and the difficulties he was facing. "Have you heard of this Fenrir Greyback?"

"Yes, I have!" said Hermione, sounding startled. "And so have you, Harry!"

"When, History of Magic? You know full well I never listened ..."