27 . one last chance

chapter twenty seven
ONE LAST CHANCE

chapter twenty sevenONE LAST CHANCE

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

   NOVA STOOD frozen, as she listened to Hermione's voice speaking the exact same words that were roaring through Nova's head. The room felt like spinning, the floor like shaking, while indeed it was just her whole body shivering with the pain of this betrayal.

   Remus' soothing words didn't reach Nova's ears, for her own heart was beating too loud, killing every other sound.

   "Nova?"

   The hoarse voice of her brother had pulled her back to reality. She had to blink several times to focus her vision on his skull-like face. There was not much left of the young man she used to know. His eyes had lost the livid and mischievous glimpse he had worn as a teenager, his hair, that he had always been so proud of, was nothing but a filthy curtain of crusted dirt.

   "What?", Nova asked in a sharp whisper that had everyone looking at her. "You think anyone will believe this crap?! Switched with Peter, pah!" A dry laughter escaped her lips. "How about you just kill us and we call it a night?"

   To her surprise, the corners of his lips lifted, but it was not the manic smile he used to wear before. Suddenly he looked much more like what she remembered of her brother, and a shiver ran down her spine.

   "It's the rat, Nova", said Remus, but she avoided to look at him, still focusing on Sirius and his smile. "I saw you on the map tonight. Five people leaving Hagrid's hut—"

   "Four", said Nova, looking at the three Gryffindors and the rat struggling in Ron's grip. "It was four of us."

   "Five", Remus said. "The map doesn't lie. Sirius appeared and dragged two of you into this tunnel. The rest of you followed."

   "So the rat appears on that stupid map, what now?", Nova asked, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

   "Sirius is not the only Animagus, Nova —" He turned to Ron. "May I have a closer look at your rat, Ron?"

   "Nova, I swear I haven't", Sirius said, as Remus approached Ron and the struggling animal. Sirius was taking a step closer towards his sister, but as she moved away, he stopped. "I never wanted to let all of this to happen. I was about to finally get you out of there. Jon and I, we had planned your rescue, we had found a safe place for you —"

   "Don't you dare speaking his name", Nova spat, and if she had a wand, she would be ready to attack him. "Do you think I ever believed it was a coincidence that ... first Jon ... then James ... You've sold both of them! You've sold me too, am I right? And if You-Know-Who wouldn't have lost his power that night, I would have been next!"