"Enough so." She answered.

"The headmistress where I grew up said because I didn't possess any physical talent, I should possess knowledge." Alina said, sliding the book she had in her hand back into its place on the book shelf.

"Isn't that lovely of her?" Neither of them could tell if he was being sarcastic or not with his reply as they exchanged glances but he didn't seem to notice and continued, "I'm the King's spiritual adviser. I want us to be friends. It is important that we are friends." The Apparat walked closer to Alina, saying this is a very creepy way that ticked at Seraphine's spine as she moved forward towards the Sun Summoner.

"We were just researching." Alina grabbed her hand and went to pull her out of the library but his voice stopped them again.

"Oh, you're curious about the lore of the Stag, are you?"

Wait, Alina had been seeing a stag too? Was it the same stag or are the both of them going crazy together?

"Well, let me curate some reading for you." He looked down the shelves before pulling out a large black book. The old man placed it on the table top behind him and started flipping through the pages and then landed on a page with the illustration of a man on it. "Here, it all began with this man. One of the first Grisha in recorded history. The Bonesmith."

Slowly, both of the women moved forward to look at the book as well. The Apparat continued, "He knew the Grisha would always be persecuted and so he worked on a plan to magnify their power."

He turned back around to grab another book as Alina asked, "Oh, I'm sorry, did you say he was called the Bonesmith?"

"He made creatures from his own finger bones. Mythical animals brimming with power. Attuned only to Grisha. They learned killing one of these beasts and then melding a piece of it into their body would amplify their abilities." He had flipped to the next page to show the same drawn man surrounded by four circles. One of them had a skeleton hand while the other three had different animals.

One was a Stag, specifically the Stag that Seraphine and Alina had both been seeing.

The second was a Sea Whip, a terrifying creature that looked like a serpent.

And the last was a Firebird, or in other words, a Phoenix.

"Wait a minute, that's a Phoenix. Is that.." Seraphine asked as she pointed to the drawn creature, turning her head to look at him.

"No, that's not you, Sankta luminya. The Bonesmith cherished you as his Omni so when he was making the Amplifiers, he made one in honor of you, hoping that one day, when you were resurrected, you would use the Firebird as your own amplifier."

"How sweet.." She muttered under her breath.

"Sometimes the gain was minor, but with the right binding, the increase in power was astonishing."

"They slaughter the animal to take this power?" Alina asked.

"Only the Grisha who takes that life can take that creature's power." He handed Seraphine a book and said, "A gift. So you know your own past story. Come now, Baghra awaits."

"Baghra?"

***