Chapter Ten

Lily finished up labeling the package, to Rockfeller Institute for Medical Research in New York, and sat back in her chair. She was sending a few Tears ahead of her for the Institute to start working on while she made plans to finish up her own research here, and then travel to New York to share what she was able to find with the scientists there.

She wasn't sure how to feel. After all her travels around the world, with her father and brother, she had still never been to the States. She was nervous, but excited. MacGregor and William would accompany her, of course, which helped with her anxiety.

Her eyes rested on a newly bound book that lay on her desk. She sighed, and opened it, flipping through the pages and scanning the words. She knew them all by heart, of course. She'd written them. After they'd returned home from the Amazon, she'd compiled all of her notes of the adventure into a book, and published it. It had everything from the tales her father told her as a child, to their initial journey, to how she had managed to gather more petals, and what research they had done so far.

It didn't, however, contain anything about Frank's identity, or anything about the other conquistadors still living from the curse. No one would believe those tales, and it would only make her research seem implausible.

She closed the book and set it next to the package, and pressed her lips together in worry. She hoped the package would make it to New York safely. The Institute had just barely managed to convince her to send some petals ahead of time, and she was second guessing her decision. It made her sad that she had to worry so. These petals could help people all over the world, could revolutionize medical practice as it was.

Sadly, not everyone saw it that way. Wherever there was good in the world, there were men who only wished to control and exploit it. Men like Joachim, and Francisco.

Lily started to wonder if it was better just to destroy the petals now, and prevent any more wars or battles for the all-healing powers they offered. Would the petals truly help the medical field, or would corrupt doctors try to control it and only offer it for extreme amounts of money? Which decision would save more people: Giving the Tears to the world, or destroying them?

Her internal moral dilemma was interrupted by a knock on the door. She looked to see MacGregor, holding the day's mail.

"Letter for you," he said absentmindedly, holding one letter out, shuffling through the rest of the mail with his other hand.

She stood and grabbed it from him, and frowned at the postmark. It was from the States.

"William and I are going to watch the derby in a bit. Would you like to come?" MacGregor said, not noticing her frown.

"Is Butterbill racing today?" Lily asked, opening the letter.

"Afraid not." MacGregor said, grimacing lightly.

Lily pouted. "Maybe next time," she said.

"I'll bet on Winston for you," MacGregor said, leaving. Lily chuckled and turned to read the letter.

Dr. Lily Houghton,

I'm writing to you concerning your recent published notes concerning the Tears of the Moon. You might find this letter odd or think it a hoax but please hear me out.

I, like your father, find great interest in studying things of legend and myth, and the truth within them. The Tears share their healing properties with an artifact that I have studied my entire life. I don't believe that the healing powers come from the plant, but from an inherent magic, and thus the Tears and this artifact may be studied in tandem.

I would invite you to study the Tears with me, and hope that I can offer valuable insight on your research. I look forward to your reply, and hope that my own son follows in my footsteps as you did your father's.

Professor Henry Jones Sr.

Medieval Studies

Princeton University

Lily nodded slowly, contemplating the letter, and then sat down to write her reply.