Chapter Two

My father was a mercenary and he was recruited by Aguirre's father in Algiers.

"Diego, we have arrived! Come!" Hernando de Aguirre called. Diego Lopez de Heredia emerged from below the ship's deck, armor clinking as he moved. He gazed out across the water and saw Algiers in the distance. Cortes' ship sailed alongside them, as did King Charles' and more than 500 of his ships. They had traveled here to take the city of Algier back from the Ottoman Empire after its capture several years before.

"The fate of the city has been sealed," Hernando continued speaking to his hired mercenary as he approached. Diego raised a hand to his brow to shield the sun and get a better look at the shore. Hernando passed him a spyglass.

"I was worried the storm would hit before we arrived." Diego said. "This is good news. I will protect you with my life, as always."

"Thank you, my friend."

*

"Hernando!" Diego called, searching for his master. The rain pelted down on his armor and dripped into his eyes. Diego cursed, and started to strip off his wet armor. It was too heavy to walk in, and only made it harder to traverse the mud.

The storm had hit as the ships were setting anchors. At least fifteen of their fleet had lost their anchors completely, and a few ships had crashed onshore. Several others, including Aguirre's ship, had sunk into the ocean, her sailors barely making it to shore.

Diego cut down one of the native Algerines, who had started to attack survivors that made it to shore. "HERNANDO!"

"Diego!" Hernando's voice came to him through the darkness. Diego ran to where he'd heard the voice, faster now that his armor was discarded.

He burst through a copse of trees to find Hernando in a duel with two Algerines at once. Diego bellowed and rushed into the fight, sword raised to intercept a blade headed toward Hernando's neck.

"Ah, my friend! You've found me!" Hernando shouted between thrusts of his sword. Diego put his back to Hernando's, and they danced in a circle, turning and protecting each other's backs.

"I would give my life for you, Hernando!" Diego called back. "Even if you do not deserve it!"

Hernando laughed. Diego grunted and cut down his opponent, then turned and helped Hernando defeat his own. Once both men were down, Diego and Hernando clasped each other's shoulders.

"Charles' Knights have him protected. I know not what happened to Cortes. We need to find shelter and decide on our next move!" Hernando shouted over the storm. Before Diego could agree, he saw Hernando's eyes grow wide, staring at something behind him. Hernando opened his mouth to shout a warning, but as Diego turned, he felt the blade enter his unarmored body. He fell to the ground, strangely not feeling any pain, but struggled to breathe.

Hernando killed the man who had stood back up, then knelt to meet Diego's eyes. "Diego, we must get you to safety. Help me-"

"No," Diego gasped, placing his hand on Hernando's. "It is too late for me, friend." Now the pain hit, and he grimaced. Hernando said something he didn't understand, and his vision went fuzzy. "Hernando. Please. My son, Francisco. Take him in. Protect him. Tell him I would have done anything to return to him."

"Of course, my friend. I will raise him with my Lope. They will be brothers." Hernando said, tears brimming. Diego took a moment to comprehend the words, then nodded. Then, his head dropped back to the ground, and his eyes went glassy. Hernando closed his friend's eyes and said a quick prayer. "Thank you, my friend. For my life, I will give your son his."