3

"Okay guys, those of you who are staying for study group turn to page 26, everyone else, I will see you tomorrow,"

The girl next to me gave me an odd look when I didn't get ready to leave, "You can go now,"

I blushed slightly, "Um, I'm staying today,"

"Oh," she looked at me questioningly before listening to whatever Si-Sam was saying.

He asked what topics we wanted to cover and looked around at glazed eyes and fiddling hands, I raised my hand slightly, "Yes, Isla," he beamed.

"Statistic sampling," I half whispered, I've never liked talking in class.

"Great okay, who else is struggling with this?"

A few people nodded and I felt relieved, I wouldn't want to not understand something easy, I'm glad other people found it hard too.

As intervention progressed, I was still the only one raising my hand, I had written a list in gel pen of my weaker areas after going through the past couple tests, I still had two left when people began to pack up, Sam looked at me, "if you don't have anywhere to be, I'm free to go over a bit more," I nodded gratefully.

"Bye," the girl next to me whispered, and I smiled, maybe she was starting to like me. Well, she's never out rightly said she dislikes me, but that's my default assumption, I know I can be weird and annoying and hyper, most people don't like that.

By the time we were done, it was half an hour after the others had left, I'd moved to one of the front desks and our shoes were accidentally touching, which I found oddly comforting. And I found I much preferred Sir's voice when it was calmer and quiet and just for me. It felt very nurturing. I've never been a fan of loud, but I guess it's necessary when addressing 20 teenagers.

I began to pack up as we finished, feeling slightly awkward in the silence, I stood up, his hand brushed mine making me meet his gaze, "Isla, just before you leave, am I pronouncing your name right?"

I blinked, that wasn't what I was expected, "Yes, Sir,"

"Sam," he corrected, a glint in his eye as a I blushed yet again, "Well, that's good, I just heard someone pronounce it differently so I was wondering but if I ever do, just let me know,"

I nodded, that's so kind of him to care, I waved and thanked him as I walked out of the classroom still feeling a tingling sensation where his hand had touched mine.