Ambition (Chapter 6)

Start from the beginning

My eyes widened. "You have running water?"

"Yes. We also have electricity, and somehow natural gas is still pumping through the lines, but blackouts are common. We're still working on a better long-term solution."

"Impressive," Clutch said at my side.

"Supper will be brought in just before sunset. I have a couple errands to take care of, so Charlie and I will be back to talk with you later."

Justin waited until everyone was inside before he stepped out, meeting Marco on the way. Justin gave him a smile before leaving.

Benji started to jump on a mattress, burning more of that never-ending supply of energy eight-year-olds possessed. Frost sat down on the floor next to the boy's bed.

Clutch and I stood off to the side as people claimed beds for the night.

Some things never changed. All the men waited for the women to choose beds before claiming theirs. Jase quickly claimed the one next to Hali, though he tried to look all cool about it. I was planning to unroll my sleeping bag on the floor, but I sensed eyes on me and noticed both Griz and Clutch were motioning me to take the last bed. I shrugged with a smile and then jumped onto the mattress. "If you insist."

Marco sat on the floor next to Deb, and I frowned. "Why are you in here with us, Marco? Guilty by association?"

He looked up. "Standard operating procedures. Anyone who's been outside for more than a day has to stay in quarantine overnight."

"We just can't get rid of him, can we?" Jase muttered, and everyone chuckled.

Truth was, I was happy to have Marco with us. Someone with a foot in our world and a foot in New Eden's. Especially since as long as he was with us, the less chance he had to tell others about our secret cache. Although, I supposed he could've told Justin about it already.

Whether Justin knew about our other Humvee and supplies, he gave no hint when Charlie and he returned a couple hours later with bowls and a stockpot filled with something steamy that smelled of carrots.

"Potato and carrot soup," Charlie said as he set the pot down. "We don't have anything fancy around here, but it gets the job done."

Justin started handing out plastic bowls, cups, and spoons. "Marco had said you've done a pretty good job in regards to eating balanced meals, and I can tell. You can't understand how much hope it gives me to see that you're not only healthy but thrived out there."

"Thrived is a strong word," I said.

"You have a pregnant woman, a child, and none of you are sick. That alone is a miracle. Many people here will be excited to hear about you. Most folks who arrive at New Eden's gates look half-starved and a day away from getting turned into zeds. Nevertheless, we're always happy to see any survivors make it here. In fact, the capital has announced that's our primary directive: to save and rebuild."

"Hm," I said as I thought through it. "Shouldn't the primary directive be holding off zeds?"

"We don't have to worry about zeds anymore."

I frowned. "The herds will be back in the spring. We have to be ready for them."

Justin shook his head. "No, they won't."

"What makes you so sure?" Clutch asked as he handed me a bowl of soup and sat down with a second bowl for himself.

"They won't be back because we nuked the South."

I jerked back. The spoonful of soup I was about to eat splashed off the spoon. I barely registered the gasps around me. "You-"

"-bombed the South?" Clutch completed the question for me.