Chapter 5

Later in the day we were back outside with the Pogues around, Kie was playing with Bongos, Pope minding his business, reading a book and JJ just throwing rocks and sticks, he had tried to come up and ask me how I was doing when he first arrived and because of the promise I made, I gave a short answer, he tried to make a joke but I just walked away.

"Look, I'm callin' it off. All right?" John B says, "Peterkin said, if I stay out of the marsh, she'll help me with DCS."

"And you believed her?" JJ grumbled.

"Yes, I believe her, JJ." He said in a matter of fact tone.

"An actual cop, John B. You believed a cop."

"All we gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple of days, and she'll help me out." He tells him, and tosses the metal stick in his hand aside. "It doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun."

"Oh yeah? Right, you know what I should have done? Just let Topper drown her ass." He says, I was sitting RIGHT there.

"Yeah, because Topper was gonna drown her?" He challenged.

"Sure looked like it."

"Oh tell me more. Come on."

"Topper was DROWNING HER." He emphasized, "She was throwing up water and gasping for breath while you were laying on the ground!" He told him. "They always win, don't they, man?" He continued getting riled up. "Kooks VS. Pogues, they always win!" He says, hitting something. "Goddamn!"

"Look, It's okay!" I tell them.

"No, it's not okay! It is not! They don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there, and you know it." He says, walking up and sitting next to me, John B kept glancing over.

"John B, I know you know. And I understand why you don't wanna go." He says to Pope, "You're the golden boy, you've got way too much to risk." He looked at Kie, "And you, I mean you're already rich as fuck anyway. Why would you bother." He tells her.

I looked away from him, he glanced at John B. "You two and me, man. We've got nothin' to lose!" He says, standing up and pacing around again.

"JJ.." John B sighed.

"We really don't, all right? And I know it didn't used to be like that for you."

John B moved past me and walked up to JJ, "I don't want to talk about this. I don't wanna talk about it." He says.

"So that's it?" JJ asks.

"Just get out of my way, bro!" He says, shoving JJ aside with no remorse.

"John B, listen to me. I have a plan." He says, chasing after him to talk, Pope, Kiara and I glanced at one another.

"Are you feeling better?" Kie asks, she was worried about the marks all over my face and body, there were bruises on my wrists from where Topper pinned my hands behind my back, bruises on my stomach, legs and face. It was less extreme for John B than it was for me.

"Yeah, they don't really hurt." I explain, Kiara puts her hands out and rubs my wrists and hands. "What in the world are you doing?" I ask her.

"Shh.. it's good for the body." She says, I giggled at her.

John B ended up bringing me out on the boat, turns out he was actually listening to JJ, while he was on the Druthers, Sarah came up and started talking to him, they headed back down and I stared at her, she hissed sympathetically. "Damn, are you good? You both look gnarly." She mentioned, "'Specially that eye of yours." She says to John.