Prologue

Thirty years. That's how long it had been since they'd awoken. 

For the animatronics caught in the flames: Foxy, Freddy, Chica, Balloon Boy, Mangle, Marionette... it was a long thirty years. Their memories of their past lives were long gone, and only the names of the animatronics they inhabited remained. Their personalities had burned with their bodies and been reconstructed in that time. They lived now as ghosts, phantoms that could only interact with the living world in one specific location. They did not remember the restaurant or what had happened there, only that they hated the place and everything it stood for. They would make sure no one else stayed in this place after hours. Of that they were certain.

For Shadow Freddy and Shadow Bonnie... it was thirty years of existing. They had spent years in a void of nonexistence, watching the restaurant with no consciousness of their own. When the flames had devoured the building, taking many of the animatronics with it, they had been granted the chance to escape. They both took that chance, reborn as dark shadowy entities. Their forms reflected the two animatronics their personalities resembled most, the golden bear and the plastic blue bunny. Both animatronics had escaped the blaze and been moved to a new location, leaving the shadows in their place. But the shadows wanted more. They wanted physical bodies and a glimpse of the outside world. They were going to get that chance to be alive. No matter the cost.

For William Afton... it was thirty years of suffering. The suit he'd died in had become his body... and his prison. His soul was trapped, unable to find a new body and unable to die. He had avoided the fire in the storage room, but the heat and flames had sealed the door shut. When the renovators had come to rebuild the old restaurant into a horror attraction, he'd already resigned himself to wasting away in a purgatory with nothing but his sins for company. But with the humans' discovery of him... with a new lease on life, you could say... he was certain he wasn't going to end up in that hellhole again. He accepted the name that came with his new body and vowed to escape. And he didn't care who he had to kill or manipulate for that to happen.

For Ennard... it was thirty years of confusion. He'd escaped Circus Baby's Pizza World, his mind a screaming mess of voices. Funtime Freddy, Circus Baby, Funtime Foxy, and Ballora had settled down over time, unifying into a cohesive whole. They still had their spats occasionally, but for the most part, Ennard could be himself. That would have been great if he knew what to do with his newfound freedom. They had wanted more than anything to escape, but now they didn't know what to do. So he disguised himself as their animatronic models usually did, hiding behind an illusion. Taking on the name Scott, he befriended several humans and even managed to get an old Freddy's restaurant remodeled into a horror attraction. He would watch from his new position, watch for the being that had created him. That had created all of them. They all wanted to give William Afton a talk to remember.

For you... it was thirty years of just being alive. You'd gone through childhood, you'd gone through your teen years. Now you were a graduated tech student, running a popular Etsy shop from home, specializing in cosplay technology. You'd worked for Fazbear Entertainment once before, during your undergraduate internship. You had done repair work on the new animatronics at the newest restaurant, and were well acquainted with their sentience. You had enjoyed the internship while it lasted, but never wanted to work for Fazbear Entertainment ever again. Their shady business dealings and iffy company policies hadn't felt right to you. But now you were getting a call from a family friend. A call that would drastically change the trajectory of your safe and comfortable life.

"Hey, y/n. It's Scott. Listen, I know you're probably busy, but I really need a night technician for the horror attraction. I know you said you'd never work for Fazbear Entertainment if you could help it, but I really could use you until I can find someone else." The voice on the phone wasn't quite begging, but you could hear the plea in his tone. You thought about it for several minutes before finally sighing. 

"Alright, alright, but only until you can get someone else. I'd rather not have to stay full time."

"Brilliant! You can start in about a week. You... can start in a week, right?"

You chuckled a little. "Yes, I can. What time?"

"The shift starts at midnight and ends at six in the morning. Does that work for you?"

You smiled softly. "That works just fine. When can I expect a tour?"

"Monday morning."

"Done." 

You said your goodbyes and hung up the phone, thinking no more of the job you'd just accepted. It was only a temporary night shift and it wouldn't interfere with your regular job. 

Right?