"I can't believe I'm still going to parties," I say a bit disappointed with my decision.

But I desperately need to distract my mind and studying doesn't help.

"I can't believe you are surprised. Vero, you will always be like that," she says and I look at her a bit taken back.

What does she mean? Does she think I cannot change?

Maybe she is right, people like me never get better, no matter how hard we try.

"How come you have a gun?" I change the subject and she freezes for a second before opening the door of my car.

We decided to go with my car this time but I know she already regrets it.

"How come you have such a cheap broken car?" she mocks me and I roll my eyes.

Irène notices me rolling my eyes and she sighs as I enter the driver's seat and I put the seatbelt on.

"It's pretty close. Are you scared?" she asks as she notices my seatbelt clipped tightly to my chest.

I scoff. "I'm not reckless."

I am reckless but just not that reckless and stupid.

"You have a death wish," I say amused. So do I.

But I don't want to kill innocent people or get arrested.

"Don't we all?" she points out in a monotone voice and I think about her answer for a few seconds.

I always wondered if everyone else felt like me, if they struggle to survive and just work on autopilot mode. Existing, not living.

Soon we reach the fraternity house, it's not far from the campus. They throw the biggest parties here that are not filled with high schoolers like the parties I attended two years ago.

"Oh, hey," a male voice speaks as he wraps his arm around Irène's waist.

I don't recognize him, but he smiles at me and lets us enter the party filled with hormonal college kids.

Irène smirks and she frees herself from his hold. She pulls me toward her.

"Do you know him?" I scream as the music makes it impossible for us to hear each other.

"Of course, babes," she replies. "Now, let's drink." She goes to the kitchen and she makes herself at home as if she's been here every day. She takes two bottles of vodka and gin.

"Do you need both?" I yell at her through the harsh house music.

"Watch." She opens the gin bottle with her teeth and she grabs two cups from the top shelf on her tiptoes. She is lucky she is quite tall, I'd need a chair to reach it and I don't even consider myself short.

She pours a bit of vodka and mixes it with gin, the cup isn't that big but enough to get drunk.

Irène hands me one of the glasses and before I drink it, she chugs hers.

Is she okay? She just came here and she couldn't even wait to get a drink.

"Drink it all," she yells in my ear and I get shivers down my spine.