Chapter 21

Saturday

The worst thing about me is that I'm always consciously picking the wrong decision. It's as if I care so little about my well-being that it doesn't matter if it goes wrong. And this is exactly why I am going to the frat party.

It's been two weeks since Derek got shot. We all also had to talk to the police and answer a few questions but luckily they let us go. Irène still has to work it out with her lawyer but it's pretty much considered self-defense.

I still can't believe everything that happened, it feels surreal. Was I kidnapped and was Derek really on the verge of death? Or am I on drugs and just hallucinating?

I think about the night I was kidnapped in every small detail. I repeat the movement I did that night, everything, down from when I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings and when I hoped Derek would go out of his way to talk to me again, even when he clearly moved on. And I concluded that I'm absolutely pathetic and no wonder bad things happen to me. I'm careless and stupid.

I never do anything right.

Needless to say, my suspension decision was canceled and I only got a warning. It helped that I mentioned the assault our friends and I had to endure. But I didn't mention that I was first kidnapped, that would force me to tell my mom and also file a report against those men and I know damn well they are already after us, that's the last thing we want.

I'm back at the college dorms and I had to leave my car at the repair shop the whole week, but I got it back this morning fully repaired. The bill was painful.

I frantically search for my car key on my desk and I could swear I left it here yesterday.

I suddenly notice the key under the bed and I pick it up, a bit confused but I don't give it much thought.

Nicole is sleeping in late today, although we have to study since we are behind, and hopefully they won't kick me out of this college like I originally hoped. One warning, and then just expulsion if I ever prove myself unworthy of this college.

I wouldn't know what to do with my life and my flashbacks would slowly kill me if my mind isn't busy with school stuff.

My face isn't as bruised as previously but foundation and concealer can be a miracle when used in abundance on dark bruises.

I quietly leave the dorm. I have to meet up with Irène for the party.

She's been off since she killed two men. Where did she even learn to shoot like that? The first bullet was perfectly pointed at the head in a darkened room with a moving subject. She didn't look scared at all.

"Hey," I say as I spot Irène out of the dormitory halls.

She eyes me up and down and makes a disgusted face.

"What's wrong with my dress today?"

"It's not revealing enough," she replies and I chuckle.

Yeah, of course. I'm wearing a tight black dress that is short but nothing compared to how short her navy blue dress is. Her boobs can barely breathe in it, and if she bends she will flash her underwear to all of us.