12 - "...can we be serious for a second?"

3rd person omniscient

Aether was the one who broke the silence.

"How have you been?"

The conversation was awkward, but at least it was something. A step in the right direction, if you will.

"Good..." Venti trailed off, "and you?"

"Good..."

Silence overcame them again.

"You know, I'm glad you texted." Aether began, "I was starting to worry you wouldn't want anything to do with me anymore."

Venti was taken aback, "why would I completely drop you over a drunken mistake?"

Ouch.

Aether knew it was a mistake, but does that mean he truly had to refer to it as one?

"I don't know...just the possibility of you being hurt or hating my guts or blaming the entire thing on me-"

Aether let his anxiety take over his thoughts again.

"Aether, I don't blame it on you. We were drunk at a college party- in all honesty I'm glad it was you instead of a stranger...I wouldn't want my first to be with someone I don't even know." Aether felt his face get hot.

I was...his first? Aether thought, a new weight of guilt dawning on him.

Venti must've noticed, because he panicked, "n-no! I mean I'd prefer to sleep with you than anyone else- No wait I meant- gah this is difficult!"

Aether had to hold back laughing at Venti's panicking.

"If it makes you feel better, I'd rather sleep with you than anyone else too-" this was where Aether gave up trying to hold in his laughter.

Venti just stared at him, trying to feign being annoyed. Until he eventually gave up, and they were both laughing.

Once the laughing died down, they got serious.

"Aether...can we be serious for a second..?" Venti didn't know where this newfound confidence came from, but he didn't even notice the words leaving his mouth, they just flowed out on their own, "Aether, one musn't lie about his own feelings...and I suppose mine for you are anything but platonic."

Aether took a minute to process what that meant, but once he realized he had no idea how to react.

"Venti I-"

Of course, he was interrupted.

"Hey, guys!" Xingqiu and Chongyun walked in, sitting beside Aether and Venti.

They didn't even notice they ruined the moment....Venti thought angrily.

"Hey..." Aether said, clearly uncomfortable.

Venti simply waved at the pair.

(a/n pair of deez nuts)

"How are you two?" Chongyun asked politely.

"I'm good, and you?" Aether responded while Venti kept quiet.

"I'm good."

"Hey Venti, I mean not to come off as rude, but you seem oddly quiet today...
is everything alright?" Xingqiu inquired, turned to Venti.

Venti opened his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by Aether, "he's just tired, since it's so early in the morning."

Aether knew that Venti didn't like people unexpectedly showing up to talk to him, and Venti was greatful for Aether stepping in like that.