- 011

↳ [ Snyder spider ] ੈ‧₊˚ ┊͙

warning: none

"JACK KELLY, DID YA SLEEP OUT THERE ALL NIGHT?" Eleanor leant against her window ledge. In the night, jack had gone through her window onto the stairs that went up the side of Irving hall to get some fresh air.

"Huh? Oh ... yeah" he nodded, realising he fell asleep outside. "Why?" She asked, looking down at him.

"It's like the Waldorf out here, great view and cool air." He rested his elbow on the ledge and his head on his hand. "Go up on the roof. I've got to go the laundry" she pushed his head away, chuckling softly as he ran up the steps to the roof.

Jack used one of Ellie's shirts and a punching bag, pretending to punch it as she climbed up.

"My mother make you any breakfast?" Ellie asked as she set a basket down on the table.
"No, not yet don't think she's awake" Jack shrugged.

"I made you some" Eleanor pointed to the smaller basket and began unpegging the clothes from the line.

"Miss medda larkson's daughter .. how the hell did I score you as a friend?" Jack chuckled as he sat on the small wall on the edge of the building.

"You should hear Ma talkin' about you. The strike leader who's her daughters best friend, her daughter who's gonna be future writer who's best friends with a famous newsie" she shook her head smiling.

"We'll, this is one strike leader who's gonna be very happy when it's all over. Then we can get outta here, go to Santa Fe." Jack replied.

"Have you seem Santa Fe? Everything's different, it's all bigger. You know, the desert, the sky, and the sun."

Ellie turned to face him after folding some clothes up and putting them in the basket. "Of course I've seen it, we've talked about it ever since we were 6. And it's the same sun as here."

"Yeah, just looks different." He poured himself a glass of milk.

"Not every place is like New York jack, you should see the places I've seen in leaflets from Europe." Ellie stated.

"Europe huh?" He smiled at her interest in places. "Oh yeah, there's Italy, and France, oh and there's Spain too. They all look so beautiful."

"I bet" he drank some of his milk and eat some of the bread, watching her do the laundry.

"If I become a writer, I wanna be able to travel to these places. You should come with me" she next to him.

"As long as I can have my hat back." He looked at her, "I saw it on your bedside table."

"Fine, you can have it back." She laughed under her breath and looked around.

"It's great up here, I can see almost the whole city." Jack looked around at the scenery. "It's pretty great for New York huh." Eleanor turned to him, a smile on her face.

~~~~

"So, did I spel it right Kloppman?" Specs looked up at the old man who ran the lodging house.

The newsies had been making banners and signs for the strike and since Davey and Eleanor were the only ones who had been to school, they had to help everyone spell everything.

"Very good, that's very good." The old man nodded.

A man in a bowler hat picked up the lodging house book and looked through the pages of who signed in and out.

"Excuse- excuse me" Kloppman walked over and took the book from him, "can I help you?"

"You have a boy who calls himself jack kelly? I wish to see him." The man replied. Eleanor's head turned at the mention of Jack's name, instantly seeing Mr Snyder.

"Jack kelly? Jack- never heard of him. Never heard of him" Kloppman shrugged. Race tapped blinks shoulder and stood up slowly.

"Any of you boys ever heard of Jack Kelly?" Kloppman asked. "That's an unusual name for these parts." Pie-eater replied.

"Oh, you mean Jack Kelly. Yeah, he was here. But he put an egg in his shoe and beat it." Race commented making the boys laugh.

Jack walked in, Eleanor instantly shushing him from the other side of Snyder. Jack walked up behind him, hiding behind his back whenever he turned around.

"I have reason to believe that he is an escaped prisoner, possibly dangerous." Snyder looked at Kloppman.

"Oh, is he dangerous?" He asked. "I better look in my files."

Eleanor held back a laugh. Kloppman had a great sense of humour when it came to sarcasm and these types of situations.

Jack acted shocked and mouthed 'me?!'

The old man motioned for Jack to hide behind Eleanor and the boys when Kloppman asked him to follow him.

"Give to the newsies strike fund, mister?" Eleanor asked as she held a sign, giving him her best sad eyes.

Snyder handed her a quarter, she took it and smiled at Kloppman.

"Hold it, you're the girl who came to the refuge. The one who snook in to the dorm to give a kid a letter" Snyder pointed at her.

The boys gave her a confused look. "No I ain't." She shrugged.

"You were talking to that crippled boy at the window. None of those kids had any letter when I checked in the morning" Snyder narrowed his eyes.

"Ah, yes. I couldn't find the kid ... must've been the wrong orphanage. He was just so interesting-" Eleanor went on, making him annoyed.

"Enough, whatever." He walked away.

"Good on ya ell" jack whispered as he appeared from the crowd who hid him. She smiled, waving at Snyder as he left.

"Good one kiddo" Kloppman nodded at her, heading back to help some of the fellas paint signs.

THE NEWSIES , J.KELLY
OCTOBER 3RD 2021